Finishing the loggia with plastic panels
Perhaps many believe that a loggia is a glazed balcony. In terms of design, the loggia and the balcony have one major difference. It is often necessary to figure out what the difference is, only when buying and selling an apartment.
The balcony, in professional terms, is a concrete slab coming from the wall of the house. A fence is installed on the stove, additional glazing, insulation and finishing are carried out.
Loggia is a different matter. Unlike the balcony, the loggia has two side walls and is located in the niche of the house. If you look from the outside of the house, the loggias look like cubes stacked together, and from the inside they look like a continuation of an apartment.
The French balcony can be in the niche of the house, or have a base indent no more than half a meter. Russia does not build houses with balconies of this size. Therefore, a French balcony is either a decorative window or an original reconstruction of a classic balcony.According to its design, it is neither a loggia nor a classic balcony.
The balcony has three free sides; there are windows at the edges of the glazed balcony. And on the edges of the loggia - the walls. That is why the possibility of combining the loggia with the room. You can remove or expand the doorway to create additional space in the room, or carry out other work in the redevelopment and design of the apartment.
In this case, the loggia remains a classic balcony, in addition to the main living space, and is used for the same purposes.
And goals can be different. Loggia can be:
- Additional storeroom in which you can put the necessary things.
- A resting place, like a gazebo, where you can get some fresh air and have a cup of coffee.
- A place for growing flowers and plants, creating a greenhouse.
- A place designed for any other business that can be organized in a small room.
For example, a loggia can become a cozy place for a smoker, a small gymnasium, a workshop, for small works, etc. In the case of redevelopment of an apartment and with a separate design of the loggia, the question arises: how and with what materials to finish?
Universal material for decoration are plastic panels.They can be of any design: imitate stone, wood, metal and other textures, have a pattern or design. Such material is chosen by many apartment owners due to its reasonable quality and at the same time low price.
Characteristics of the panels:
- Low price with good quality. Thanks to this material, you can create a wonderful repair.
- Long service life. You can make an inexpensive repair and know that the next 10 - 15 years about the new can not worry.
- Plastic products easily tolerate seasonal temperature variations. Certain species are resistant to frost and rain. Therefore, the choice of material must take into account the climate of the environment.
- Panels are not afraid of moisture. They can be easily wiped with a damp cloth.
How to choose a quality material?
Before you buy a panel, you need to check the quality of the material. Pay attention to the following points:
- the color of the panels should be smooth, without scuffs and scratches.
- The texture should not be cracked, dented and other kinds of mechanical damage.
- parts must match each other in color and texture.
- when connecting parts should be heard a characteristic click.
- PVC is an inexpensive material. But choosing the cheapest option of them, you need to consider the ratio of price and quality. Plastic is easily damaged by impact, so for integrity and durability it is better to choose a more durable material. The more edges the panel has, the stronger it is.
- To ensure the reliability of the panels, you need to consider their appearance. Quality panels do not contain on the reverse side of dark spots and black dots.
After the choice is made and the panels are available, you can proceed to the finishing of the loggia.
If the loggia has already been repaired, then the walls need to be cleaned of the old material, as there may be cracks and voids under it.
If a fungus appears on the walls, you need to remove it, and then treat it with antifungal agents and cover the cracks and empty spaces with foam or cement, as well as level the walls.
The frame can be made of metal or wood. If the finishing of the loggia is carried out in an unheated room, it is better not to use wood, as it will collect moisture.
Before starting the installation of the frame, the surface of the loggia should be lined with foil.
After that, begin to mount the frame from the ceiling.
Wooden bars or metal profiles are fastened with a tapping screw parallel to each other at a distance of 40 cm, first horizontal and then vertical. For accuracy you need to use a level.
After the ceiling, the frame is fixed to the walls in the same way. The first profile is mounted in the corner.
Once the frame is installed, you can go to the weatherization. It is produced by foam or fiber installed in the empty openings of the frame structure.
Now a vapor-tight membrane can be attached to the heat-insulated structure, which will be the last layer of insulation.
Even if you plan to trim without insulation, install the frame is still worth it. You need to glue the panels on a perfectly flat surface, and the frame can eliminate its smallest errors.
At first panels fasten on a ceiling, and then on walls. Starting from the corner profile, the panel tab is fliped over to the PVC mounting plate, then another panel is inserted next to it, and so each next one.
After fixing the plastic panels on the ceiling and walls, openings of windows and doors are made.The material is mounted at the top and bottom of the opening, and then on the sides. Corners and sections are closed with f-shaped panels and the corners included in the kit. Now that the trim is complete, you can create the right atmosphere and enjoy the new loggia.
Along with the internal repair, you can trim the exterior of the loggia with your own hands.
As a rule, the external covering is made for balconies, but not loggias. But the owner of the apartment and in such a house may wish to change the appearance of the loggia. In addition, exterior finish - this is an additional heat and sound insulation.
Exterior finish is carried out as well as internal:
- Dismantling of the old material, if any.
- The parapet is being repaired.
- The framework is established. In the case of cladding, it is better to use a metal frame. If to use a tree, then it needs to be processed by special means.
- Warming is carried out.
- Finally, plastic panels are attached. PVC panels are mounted vertically with a construction stapler. Plastic corners are superimposed on the corners.
Plastic panels for exterior finish must withstand weather conditions and UV rays.For exterior cladding, panels with enhanced properties are used. From the choice of a specific type of panel will depend on its life.
It is best to use wide products, as the bands at the junction are not visible in this case.
What design of panels to choose for repair?
Plastic panels in appearance are monochromatic, textured and artistic.
Thanks to a wide choice, it is possible to experiment with options for the design of a room, to come up with something new, or to improve existing ideas.
The choice of colors of plastic panels is huge. The most popular monochrome panels are white, beige and gray. Monochrome panels harmonize with any interior. This is the easiest way to achieve a good result. The contrasting balcony will look great - for example, a white double-glazed window combined with black laminated plastic. This option will look aesthetically pleasing and luxurious.
If you choose a plastic that imitates another material, then you need to imagine how it will look in the interior design.
- How do metal, wooden or stone walls look on loggias?
- Material with what texture will look better?
- Are they suitable for curtains, flowers, furniture and other items?
When choosing an invoice you need to take into account the frequency and size of its elements.
In one interior, the large texture looks better, and in the other - small.
For example, a large contrasting texture is ideal for a minimalist loggia. And for a room with a large number of colors suitable walls with a small texture.
With an image
Panels with decoration are selected less often than monochrome and textured. This is due to the narrow direction of the pattern. The picture sets the thematic mood, for example, Japanese motifs, Slavic patterns, tea and coffee, images of water, fire, etc.
To choose the right picture, you need to consider the following points:
- mood. In what mood do you want to arrive at the loggia?
- environment. What style is made in the interior of the loggia, what items are on it?
- personal preferences. If a person does not like the image or style of the image, then he is unlikely to like it in interior design. Even if the drawing is in fashion and combined with its surroundings.
Before buying, you need to check the specific ratio of plastic panels with the environment.
You can take a few products in the store or print their image and "try on" the walls. Then it will immediately become clear whether the selected panels fit into your interior or not.