Igor Kolomoisky, whose biography is in this article, is the former head of the Dnipropetrovsk Regional State Administration, one of the most influential people in Ukraine, a billionaire, political and public figure, co-owner of Privat Bank.
Kolomoisky Igor Valerievich was born into a Jewish family on February 13, 1963 in Dnepropetrovsk. His parents were engineers. Mother worked at a university, and father worked at a metallurgical plant.
Igor Valerievich was a very purposeful, diligent and serious child. Teachers, neighbors and familiar families predicted a bright future with one voice. He was fond of sports since childhood. He especially loved football. Igor liked chess too. Then, in his youth, he even got a sports rank in them.
Igor Kolomoisky, whose family was intelligent, followed in the footsteps of his parents. First he graduated from the twenty-first Dnepropetrovsk high school. And excellent. He was awarded the Komsomol badge "For excellent study." In 1890, he entered the Dnepropetrovsk Metallurgical Institute named after Brezhnev. He graduated in 1985 with an engineering degree.
After graduating from the Metallurgical Institute, he worked as an engineer in a design organization for some time. He got into it by distribution. But Igor Valerievich did not work as an engineer for long - until 1988. Then he decided to become a businessman. At this time, just in the Soviet Union, the first cooperatives and commercial firms began to open. And it became officially allowed to engage in entrepreneurial activity.
Kolomoisky Igor Valerievich began his business career during the collapse of the Soviet Union. At that time, it was possible to engage in commercial activities practically from a minimum, without a large investment. First, Igor Valerievich organized the company "Sentosa".
She was engaged in the resale of various goods. Including trading in office equipment, ferroalloys, household items and oil. A few years later, Igor Kolomoisky earned the first million. But he didn’t spend it and invested money in business development.
In 1992, after the collapse of the Soviet Union, Kolomoisky PrivatBank was created in independent Ukraine with several partners. Its founders were four companies. But the main stake remained in Kolomoisky. Later, the bank became a powerful empire and received the name "Privat". Now Kolomoisky’s assets include more than 100 of the largest world and Ukrainian enterprises.
In addition to the shares of Privat Bank, businessman Igor Kolomoisky gradually took over several other enterprises:
- Ukrnafta company;
- Stakhanovsky, Nikopolsky and Zaporizhzhya factories;
- Krivoy Rog Iron Ore Combine;
- Oil refinery "Neftekhimik";
- AeroSvit Airlines
In addition to developing business in Ukraine, Igor Kolomoisky was engaged in entrepreneurial activity in the West. He became the owner of several leading television companies, offshore organizations (the main part is in Cyprus) and oil companies in several European countries.
Igor Valerievich received the first money for business development from the Jewish community. And later he thanked her “royally”. He took part in the revival of cultural monuments not only in Ukraine, but also in Israel. Since 1998 - Member of the Board of Trustees of the Jewish community of Dnepropetrovsk. In 2008, he became the head of the all-Ukrainian community, and since 2010began to lead the European Council of Jewish Communities. In 1995, Kolomoisky Igor received Israeli citizenship. Owns several football clubs.
Public Service and Political Activities
In 2014, Igor Valerievich entered the political field. At first he was the governor of Dnepropetrovsk, giving a promise to develop the region. But when an acute conflict arose with the Donbass, he began to finance the creation of the Sturm, Dnipro battalions and the national defense regiment of Dnepropetrovsk.
Kolomoisky Igor is a financial sponsor of many politicians, helping them to break through to power. At first, he supported Y. Tymoshenko and the Orange Revolution. Then - V. Yushchenko and O. Tyagnibok, the leader of the Freedom. Kolomoisky invested millions in the Ukrainian nationalist movement.
Igor Valerievich fully sponsors the National Defense Regiment of the Dnipropetrovsk Region and spends almost ten million dollars on this monthly. Kolomoisky promised a reward for the delay of each militia of the Donetsk and Lugansk people's republics in the amount of ten thousand dollars.
He is the sponsor of Ukrainian football and the head of the Dnipro club. Vice President of the Ukrainian Football Federation. In 2008, at the expense of Kolomoisky’s stadium, the Dnipro Arena was built. It took almost forty-five million euros.
The oligarch Igor Kolomoisky has an irreconcilable position regarding the LPR and the DPR and supports the pro-presidential course. He was able to argue with his former friend - O. Lyashko, who is the leader of the party of radicals. Kolomoisky spread rumors that Lyashko was financing O. Tyagnibok. Igor Valerievich for Donbass is a separate independent opponent. And some representatives of Kiev see Kolomoisky as a threat to the current president of Ukraine Poroshenko.
Igor Kolomoisky's fortune in 2015 amounted to almost 1.4 billion dollars. This is 400 million less than in 2014. But there is no exact information on the real state of foreign bank accounts of the Ukrainian oligarch. But judging by the assets, his fortune is much more than $ 1.5 billion.
Although when he was the governor of the Dnepropetrovsk region, he filed, as is required by law, a tax return. But it was declared only seven hundred million hryvnia. Of these, five hundred and sixteen million Igor Valerievich gave on dividends and interest on bank deposits.
Also, the oligarch has a luxurious villa in Switzerland, which is located on an area of 1.5 thousand hectares on the shores of Lake Geneva. But basically Kolomoisky lives in Dnepropetrovsk, because this is where all of his main enterprises and business assets are located. In addition, all production issues are discussed only personally with Igor Valerievich.
Assets of Kolomoisky
The Ukrainian oligarch Kolomoisky Igor Valerievich has many assets in various fields of activity:
- Banking. The PrivatBank international group has nearly 22 million customers in twelve countries. She took 315 place in the ranking of world banks. From 1994 to 2014 formed by MoskomPrivatBank. It was later sold and renamed. At the same time, thanks to the deal, Igor Valerievich acquired additional assets worth 56 billion rubles.
- Offshore companies. Kolomoisky owns more than ten firms in this field of activity.
- Metallurgy. Assets are presented in the form of mining and processing plants and ferroalloy plants. Kolomoisky Igor controls almost 30% of the world market in this area. Privat-Intertrading, owned by Kolomoisky, is a monopolist of Ukrainian manganese ore. The holding includes the Ordzhonikidze and Manganets GOKs, the Sukhaya Balka plant, the Dneprodzerzhinsky coke and chemical plant, and the metallurgical plant named after Petrovsky, Dneprokoks and 50% of the Southern GOK. In 2007, Igor Valerievich bought shares of Ferrexpo.And the Privat group became one of the owners of the Russian metallurgical holding Evraz and entered the board of directors.
- Petrochemistry. Among the largest assets, there are 11 enterprises and factory complexes. And the Avias and Sentosa companies have an extensive network of gas stations throughout Ukraine.
- Aviation. In 2009, Privat Group bought assets in the airline industry. In August of the same year, Kolomoisky sold over 90% of the shares of Dniproavia Airlines. And friendly Privat firms bought out 25% of the assets of AeroSvit. In 2010, Kolomoisky acquired Rosa Vetrov airline. Based on the above companies, Igor Valerievich created the UAG - Ukrainian Aviation Group. In 2011, Kolomoisky entered the global air transportation market. But in 2012, it turned out that this business became unprofitable.
- Media Kolomoisky owns the largest Ukrainian media group “1 + 1”. It includes the country's leading television channels, some Internet portals, many well-known tabloids and the UNIAN information agency. Kolomoisky also owns a solid stake in the SME agency and is on the board of directors. Together with Rabinovich, he created the 1st international Jewish television channel, which is available in the online version, as well as on cable and satellite television.
Little is known about the personal life of the oligarch. He married another twenty-year-old student. With his future wife, Irina met as a teenager, and has been living with her for over thirty years. His wife in the media never “shone” and since 2000 she has been permanently living with children in Geneva. Igor Valerievich has two children - a son, Grigory and a daughter, Angelica, who has already married and has her own family.
Hobbies and interesting facts
Kolomoisky has simultaneously three citizenships: Cypriot, Ukrainian and Israeli. An interesting fact is that this contradicts the laws of Ukraine. According to Ukrainian law, citizens of this country are forbidden to have dual and especially triple citizenship. But he considers himself an international businessman and law-abiding citizen of his country. Igor Kolomoisky’s children entered the top 10 richest heirs on the planet. Funds in their overseas bank accounts already exceed three billion dollars.
Igor Kolomoisky, whose wife lives in Switzerland, besides football, loves to read. He is particularly attracted to the biographies of famous generals, politicians and dictators.
In 2011, Igor Valerievich was placed on the list of enemies of the country's media in second place for closing one of Kiev's newspapers and magazines, as well as for dismissing journalists of the 1 + 1 structure, without prior warning.
Kolomoisky attributed gangster seizures of some enterprises of Ukraine. And the Privat group is called the largest raider. Her security company was organized by General Kozin, the ex-head of the regional Dnipropetrovsk Internal Affairs Directorate, and repeatedly participated in raider grabs.
An investigation into this practice was done by the Ukrainian Antimonopoly Committee. In 2003, some Kolomoisk companies were fined. Igor Valerievich withdrew all assets from these enterprises to avoid payment. And the fined firms were artificially bankrupt.
After Kolomoisky was appointed to a government post, during a conference held in March 2014, he was criticized by V. Putin. The President of Russia noted that people are dissatisfied with such a governor. And a little earlier, even before the conference, Igor Vasilyevich very sharply and non-diplomatically spoke out to V. Putin and V. Yanukovich, calling them schizophrenics.
In June 2014, Igor Kolomoisky was put on the international wanted list by the Russian Investigative Committee. He is accused at once in several directions:
- murder organizations;
- the use of prohibited methods and means for warfare;
- obstruction of journalistic legal activities.
The investigation is still underway for the future, since at the moment there is no way to bring the perpetrators to justice. So far, the Moscow district court has ruled in absentia the arrest of the oligarch.
A criminal case against Kolomoisky Igor Valerievich was opened in connection with the events in the south-east of Ukraine. He is led by a senior investigator for particularly important cases, who investigated the events of 2008 that occurred in South Ossetia.
As part of the criminal case, the Investigative Committee of Russia began mass interrogations of Ukrainian citizens in the territory of the Russian Federation. In addition, at the same time, a survey is being conducted on the current government of the country. In 2014, the Prosecutor General's Office of the Russian Federation sent materials to Interpol in order to begin the search for Kolomoisky on an international scale.