Dressers with changing table
The appearance in the family of the baby is the happiest event for his parents, but at the same time it is the beginning of a new stage in their life associated with unexplored worries and anxieties. From this day the children's room turns into the most important and significant apartment space, and the comfort and safety of the newborn and the mood of his mother depend on how conveniently she is equipped.
One of the important features of the correct formation of the fragile spine of the baby, his future posture is the use of a solid changing pad. In this regard, among the furniture for the nursery, an important place is occupied by such an attribute as a changing chest. A changing chest combines in its device two pieces of furniture created to facilitate the care of a newborn: a chest of drawers and a changing table. The main purpose of the dresser is storing items and retrieving them with maximum convenience. This piece of furniture has several drawers located at different levels.
You can put clothes on them according to the degree of suitability and relevance, that is, mother will always have exactly those children's things at hand that are relevant at the moment.
In the dresser for swaddling to this function is added the presence of a table top, equipped with high sides, which allows you to dress your baby with maximum convenience. The fact that it allows to lay the baby on a flat horizontal surface, which also has a means of insurance against falling, can be attributed to the clear advantages of the changing chest.
This means that even an active child, who is already beginning to roll over, will not be able to fall if her mother accidentally became distracted for a minute. The big advantage is the moment that the chest usually has a height of about one meterand when the child is at this level, the woman does not have to bend down to him when she cuts the baby's nails or changes the diaper.
A changing chest is especially useful for massaging a child under one year old, since this procedure takes a lot of time and it can be difficult for mother to hold it in a half-bent state, especially during the first postpartum months.Doctors recommend massaging children regularly; this is a good way to create a special, trusting atmosphere between mother and baby and set the baby to sleep.
At the same time, it is much more convenient to position the baby on the changing cabinet than to put it on the sofa or on the parents' bed.
Such a dresser will also be indispensable in cases where a child takes air baths. Of course, it would be cheaper to buy a changing board separately and install it on the table surface or on the sofa, but this would not be absolutely safe for the child, because the design that forms at the same time turns out to be mobile, and this moment is aggravated when the baby tries to crawl and roll over .
The time of the air baths can reach 20 minutes, during which the child can be given a short massage or just play with him, and the idea that the baby can fall should not darken the mood of his mother. What is characteristic, judging by the numerous satisfied reviews on the Internet, moms talk about the benefits of using a changing chest in the first days of its use.
There are several varieties of changing cabinets, among which the parents of the newborn can choose the best option. The simplest view is primitive chest of drawersIt has an integrated changing table as a top cover. Such items of furniture were seen in children's clinics, and parents of babies could appreciate the convenience of using them. However, in the sale of such structures practically no. The manufacturer, realizing the desire of potential buyers to purchase a multifunctional thing, offers changing cabinets with various transformation functions.
By purchasing such a chest of drawers, the buyer spends not only the "changing" period, but can use the furniture in the future.
The buyer can purchase the following varieties:
- Commode with removable changing table to care for a child that can be dismantled after the baby grows up. At the same time, the dresser itself can be used to store children's things for a long time.
- Chest with hinged lidunder which there is a removable bath, as well as a shelf for hygiene supplies. When it becomes necessary to use the built-in bath, the changing cover is folded back and securely fixed in the raised position in order to prevent it from being accidentally closed.In models of serious manufacturers, the bath is equipped with a water drainage system, and it does not need to be removed from the base or scooped up by hand each time. In the future, the built-in bath can be easily dismantled, and the dresser can be used for its intended purpose.
- Chest of drawers part of the design of the crib. It also has a removable changing table top and several drawers for storing baby equipment. The size of such an angular commode is usually much smaller, because the transforming construction itself already looks cumbersome and requires a lot of space. Usually in such a dresser there are two or three small boxes for the most necessary.
- A chest of drawers with a changing table, which is further transformed into dresser-desk. This is possible thanks to the design features that allow the dresser to be lowered to a level convenient for the child.
These are the main varieties of changing cabinets. In addition, additional designs may be present in various designs. "Bonuses" that can make life easier for parents of a newborn:
- The wheelbase, equipped with a system of stoppers, which will allow you to move the chest with all things, without making special efforts, and securely lock it in a new place. This will undoubtedly simplify the process of cleaning and the ability to move a chest of drawers around the apartment.
- Silicone coating wheels, so that when moving, they do not leave marks and do not scratch the floor.
- The system of self-centering wheelbase, which ensures the stability of the dresser and smooth movements.
- The anatomical shape of the built-in bath and the presence of two compartments in it: for those babies who are not yet able to hold the head, there can be a water slide, and for older babies who can already sit on their own there is a deeper compartment.
- The system of dozakrytiya (argument) of boxes which works thanks to the built-in closers.
- Additionally, the drawers of the dresser can be equipped with a device that allows you to adjust both the height and the depth of extension. This allows you to open the top drawer when the bath is installed.
- Changing table can be covered with a durable waterproof oilcloth or eco-leather, resistant to various kinds of pollution.
- The sides can be located sideways to the mother, this way of laying the baby is considered the safest.
- A small mattress may be offered.
- The number of boxes can vary from three to five.
- Some models have a very wide changing table, divided by a partition into two functional areas. This is convenient in the case when not only the baby is placed on the table, but also all kinds of hygiene products.
In order for the baby and his mother to be comfortable using the changing surface, she must be comfortable in size so that the baby fits on her full height. For children under six months, the length of the changing board is recommended within 70 cm. In the event that parents plan to use this device and in the future, it is better to choose a model with a length of up to 90 cm.
The recommended height of the sides is 15.5 cm.
Almost all models of freestanding changing cabinets are equipped with folding standard swaddling boards. This allows you to equip for your baby a comfortable and spacious place with a relatively small depth of the chest.The dimensions of the surface of such a board vary from 66 * 69 cm at the narrowest dresser to 96 * 77 cm at the wide dresser, the table top of which is divided into two functional zones: the changing table itself and the place for storing children's cosmetics.
An interesting find was the location of the kids sideways to mom, while in the design of the dresser there was an opportunity to abandon the folding changing board. This innovation is present in models of the Italian brand Feretti, which allows you to increase the length of the changing surface up to 86 cm. The height of some models reaches 17 cm, and on average varies within 15-16 cm.
In built-in dressers, the size of the changing surface is limited by the width of the crib, that is, such dressers can have a tabletop length between 68-72 cm. As for width, manufacturers who have to limit the size of the built-in dresser due to aesthetic considerations have found an way to increase the width of the changing surface due to the fact that its side edge of 10-15 cm protrudes above the wall of the chest. If the overall dimensions of such a dresser are 46 * 66 cm, then the size of the changing station can be from 56 * 66 cm to 61 * 66 cm, and this is quite acceptable for a baby under six months.
The review of the height of changing cabinets deserves special attention, since this indicator directly affects the comfort of use. There is no standard in this category; the minimum height of the chest of drawers on the market is 88-92 cm. These models produce "Almaz-Mebel", "Antel", "Fairy", "Lel", Ikea, as well as luxury brand chests Geuther Cottage.
Such a height will be convenient for moms of short stature. For those who are taller, it is worth considering height options within 94-98 cm, for example, chests made by Gandylyan, Aton Mebel, Ikea. Chests of 102 cm (Feretti), 104-106 cm (“Red Dawn”, “Mozhga”, Leander), 108 cm (“SLE-Company”, Sweet Baby Domenica, Ikea) are also available.
Due to this diversity, each mother will be able to find the best option for themselves.
As for such a parameter as the depth of the changing chest, the manufacturers almost unanimously offer narrow models that do not take up too much space in the nursery. The minimum depth of the models is 44 cm, the maximum is 52 cm.
The exception is made by several models of premium class, for example, an oval chest of drawers of the brand Leander, transformed into a bureau for a teenage school student, has a depth of 72 cm and is designed for an angular installation.In addition, this model has a comfortable and spacious changing table and a price tag of 83,000 rubles.
The materials used for the production of changing cabinets differ significantly in their composition and qualities, which ultimately causes a wide range of prices for this piece of furniture.
The least expensive for the manufacturer is the manufacture of a chest of drawers made of chipboard, respectively, and the price tag on it is in the range of 3000-4200 rubles. One can speak about the environmental friendliness of this material if the manufacturer has an EU safety certificate confirming the absence of formaldehydes and other harmful impurities in the composition of the pressed chipboard.
To the credit of domestic producers, recently they began to pay more and more attention to this fact. When purchasing furniture made of chipboard imported, manufactured in accordance with European safety requirements, the presence of harmful components in chipboard furniture is minimalHowever, in such models the cost increases significantly.
Chipboard, solid beech or birch
In some cases, the manufacturer combines parts made of various materials in one design. Most often assembled chipboard and a different array of wood.From chipboard perform the side walls of the base and drawers drawers. The bottom, the spacer bar, the lid with the changing board and the front panels of the chest of drawers are made from solid beech or birch. Such "hybrid" dressers have a higher cost. An array of beech wood and chipboard can be purchased for an amount from 9,700 rubles to 17,200 rubles, depending on the size, brand, equipment and style supply.
MDF and beech wood
One of the main characteristics of such a material as MDF is environmental friendliness, since it contains no chemical elements. MDF is produced from fine wood fraction, in other words, from wood dust and sawdust. When gluing and pressing, a substance such as lignin extracted from wood is used, therefore MDF is deservedly considered environmentally friendly material. Polymer films or natural wood veneer are used to coat the plates.
Also MDF is considered to be quite durable, the duration of its operation reaches ten years.
Manufacturers, combining MDF and beech wood in their products, put cheaper material on the side racks and use it to frame the boxes.The front of the dresser, that is, the front panels of the drawers, is necessarily made of natural wood. Also wooden is a changing table with sides.
The cost of swaddling chest of drawers in this version starts from 14,000 rubles and can reach 19,500 rubles, depending on the size and presence of additional devices, for example, a built-in anatomical bath or drawer closers. In this price category, the brand name does not particularly affect the height of the price, for example, luxury baby changing cabinets from the brand Feretti quite comparable in cost with domestic products.
Material that is considered to be the most durable and environmentally friendly. Moreover, some types of wood, for example, birch, have antibacterial properties. It is possible to argue how powerful they can appear after varnishing and painting, but the fact of such influence is recognized by modern science. Chests of solid birch produces factory "Mozhga" ("Red Star").
Solid pine, offered as a material for changing cabinets chest of drawers, Ikea, also referred to as tree varieties with antibacterial qualities.To maximize the preservation of these properties, Ikea does not process wood with coloring compounds, limiting itself to coating products with colorless varnish and stain. Due to this, these chests emit a light coniferous aroma and emit phytoncides into the room air. The cons of pine can be attributed to the softness of the wood, very sensitive in the blows and therefore "suffering" from the pranks of grown children.
For the manufacture of dressers for children successfully used this kind of tree, as beech, distinguished by durability and excellent appearance. When the manufacturer indicates that the changing chest is made of solid wood, this means that no additional materials should be present in the design. Even the bottom of the boxes in this case is made of natural birch plywood.
The price tag for such products varies depending on the country of manufacture and brand. The initial level is 14,000 rubles, but you can choose a chest of drawers for 19,400 rubles or 30,180 rubles. The most expensive in the domestic market can be called a changing chest of solid birch brand Leander, which will cost the buyer 38 000 rubles.
Choosing a changing chest, you should imagine in advance in what style I would like to equip a children's room. In most cases, manufacturers offer an interesting variety of colors for almost every model of a dresser, so the choice depends solely on the preferences of the parents of the baby. Lately, there is a trend in decorating children’s rooms for the smallest ones in white, so a white chest of drawers can be found in almost every manufacturer.
The names of shades differ, ranging from simple white to a complex color called antique white and Bianko, which also translates from Italian as white.
In addition, you can buy a children's changing chest of the following colors:
- White night, which is light gray;
- A cherry that looks light brown;
- Walnut beautiful brown color;
- Mahogany, dark reddish brown;
- Avorio - beige;
- Noce - dark brown.
A lot of commodes are offered that have double colors:
- Light pink + beige;
- White + Lime;
- White + sunny yellow;
- Cocoa + eggnog;
- Dark brown + light pink + beige and other nice combinations of colors.
In addition to color combinations, a baby dresser can be decorated with the help of décor such as photo printing or even real hand-painted. Funny drawings in the form of airplanes, steam trains, and machines are designed to make the kids smile and lift them up. The dressers of many brands have their own distinctive decor options. In one of the Spanish elite models, the changing cabinet is decorated with Swarovski crystals, the shine of which, no doubt, will attract additional attention of the baby and encourage him to research such an interesting find.
The famous Italian brand Feretti adorns its products with organza butterflies and images of flowers printed using silk screening.
Which is better?
To determine which of the changing cabinets is better, you can read the reviews on various models:
- Women who have purchased a changing chest, are unanimous in the opinion that this piece of furniture is irreplaceable, they share the experience of use and note the pros and cons that have appeared during the operation. Quite a lot of reviews written about the dressers brand "Gandylyan."
- Buyers recommend a model like "Silvia Lux", noting that it has a comfortable height (almost a meter), a comfortable pelenator, spacious drawers, without being cumbersome. Also from the pluses they call the material (an array of beech) and the fact that there are legs in front of the dresser, and the wheels behind them, and it is convenient to move it during harvesting. It is noted that after the changing board has already been dismantled, the openings from it can be closed with the supplied plugs.
- Brand models Feretti, made of beech wood and MDF and having an anatomical bath in the kit, are highly valued. Note the presence of closers, the opening of the boxes by simply pressing on the facade, the presence of wheels and European refined design with a fairly moderate price tag.
- There are good reviews about the dressers "Mozhga" ("Red Star")made of solid birch. Buyers are satisfied with the size (dressers of this manufacturer have a height of 106 cm) and the depth of the boxes. Also note the quality of the material and the very moderate for the array cost of these drawers.
- Changing Chests Papaloni, made of a complex of materials (laminated chipboard, MDF and beech wood), have very contradictory reviews.There are complaints about the complexity of self-assembly due to the discrepancy of the holes prepared in production, which leads to the fact that the drawers do not stand up neatly, there are gaps, the opening is difficult. Buyers are satisfied with the appearance of the dressers, but for assembly they are recommended to invite a specialist.
- Changing cabinet "Lel", made of MDF and beech, has complaints about the poorly made racks, from which the attachment of boxes begin to fall out (photos are attached in the recall, so there is no need to talk about anti-advertising). Also, buyers are dissatisfied with the bulging bottom of the boxes, which prevents their promotion. There are complaints about the lack of replacement of poor-quality goods, which was required due to violations of the paintwork found during installation. The percentage of such reviews is small, otherwise the customers are satisfied with the dressers of this brand, noting the advantages of a large changing surface and shelf lock, which allows the drawers not to fall out when fully opened.
- Dressers "Fairy"made from chipboard have very average reviews. Their marks a good balance of price and quality.They say that the folding surface is convenient for changing, the drawers are spacious, the design is interesting. Of the shortcomings mention the rotating handles, sagging boxes, sharp corners of the sideboard of the changing board, unprotected by the edge, which should be covered with a blanket to avoid injury to the child.
There are also complaints about the instability of the design with an open changing table. It is said about models having a width of 60 cm.
How to choose?
To decide which of the changing cabinets for a newborn to choose, you must first familiarize yourself with the range. This can be done without leaving home, since all the major manufacturers of children's furniture offer their products at the sites of online stores. Studying the proposed materials, dimensions, colors, the number of boxes, shelves and their capacity, you can compare prices and choose exactly the options that are necessary for you.
The environmental characteristics of materials will seem to be the most important to someone, someone will need a chest of drawers with shelves at the top and the large size of the swaddler, and someone will be bribed by the original design and colors. Many pick a chest of drawers the same color as the crib.
Undoubtedly If you choose the quality of materials, then in the first place will be furniture made of solid wood. In order to save, you can purchase a hybrid model, it is better if it is MDF and an array. In the case when it is decided to buy a chest of drawers made of chipboard, it is advisable to ask whether the chipboard is certified according to European safety standards. Also on chipboard models it is necessary to check whether the edges are installed; it is bad if the sections are left unclosed, because it is through the sections that the adhesives are evaporated.
Before buying, be sure to visit the store and live to inspect the selected model: make sure that it fits in height, suits by color and style, and for models with wheels, check if the woman can move the product by herself. Since exhibition samples can be touched and opened, it will immediately become clear how they will behave during operation. An important factor in the inspection will be the absence of an unpleasant chemical smell. Good furniture can smell like only wood.
How to assemble a chest of drawers with a changing table, you will learn from the following video.