Tilting gates: advantages and disadvantages
In the case of purchasing a car, it is logical to think about the house for him. That is about the garage. Typically, the requirements for this structure are: reliability, durability, safety. As far as possible and aesthetics. Especially if the garage is part of the house and its appearance should harmoniously fit into the surroundings of the building, as well as the surrounding area.
For the safety of the garage in the first place responsible gate, most often it is a lifting structure, at least - swing.
Lifting gate happen rolletny, section and rotary. All of these types are different in design and price.
Lifting and swiveling - most low-end construction, it is extremely practical and reliable. Perhaps they can be called even the most durable and reliable garage doors.
When you open the leaf sash takes a horizontal position and goes up to the ceiling.The mechanism is driven by springs, rollers and guides. The latter determine the position of the gate, transferring them from horizontal to vertical plane and back.
Thanks to the balancing system, the gate shield is stable when it is hanging. Because of him, the canvas easily moves even manually, if there is no electricity. Automation of movement depends on the electromechanical drive.
Choosing this type of structure, it is important to understand the principle of its operation, regardless of whether it is planned to install it yourself or to purchase a ready-made structure.
- The gate consists of a frame, leaf and guides. The steel frame is the main part of the mechanism, as it moves. It is made of pipes that have a rectangular cross-section.
- Opening the flaps simultaneously drives the roller mechanism and lifting arms. Due to this, the shield begins to move depending on how the guides are located. Next, the canvas is fixed at the top parallel to the ceiling, settling down like a visor.
- Springs are in a free position when the gate is open. When closed - spring stretch.
- The drive can be mounted both on the ceiling and on the lintel.
Types of tilt-up structures
The main types of construction of overhead doors, otherwise they are called rolling with a turn of 90 degrees, are:
- on counterweights.
Articulated design - more common, the movement of the shield, nothing prevents, and the springs need carefully adjusted.
With counterweights - a cable is attached to the frame, and a counterweight to the winch on the opposite side. This view is suitable for massive gates. Most often they are installed in industrial plants and fire boxes.
In addition to these devices, there is the author's version - on 4 levers. It was developed in Ukraine. This model is a team, you can mount it yourself. This is the so-called Z-system.
A gate with a chain is, most often, sectional. In a tilt-and-turn construction, the chain is used to mechanically lift the gate.
She has her advantages:
- The mechanism is assembled on the frame-lutke, thanks to this, the gate is easy to transport disassembled.
- The model does not use guides, respectively, their installation is not needed.Rollers and bearings are also not involved.
- Can be used not only in the garage, but also outdoors.
- Installation of the drive is possible.
- Inexpensive design.
- The drive uses special springs as well as gas springs.
- Sheathing sheet metal gives burglar-resistant design.
It is better to install such a type of gate as overhead-and-turn with the help of specialists, since installation requires a large amount of materials, consumables, fasteners, and you also need an automatic drive.
But whatever decision is made Before starting work, you need to measure and calculate the size of the canvas, to calculate the materialsthat will be needed for installation. You also need to buy and deliver it all to the place of assembly activities.
Of course, one cannot do without a drawing of the future gate, on which such important elements as:
- both guides - vertical and horizontal;
- brackets for mounting both guides and springs with a hinge.
To calculate how much and what materials you need, it is important to know such parameters as:
- opening height;
- its width;
- ceiling height;
- the width of the shoulders.
These numbers are enough for an approximate calculation. The number of consumables is calculated after the main materials are calculated, based on their number.
The opening and the walls are located strictly in the same plane. To achieve this, the walls and ceiling inside the garage are plastered.
After that, a corner of steel is fixed to each external corner. Then you can proceed directly to the installation.
Materials for tilt and turn gates
It is best to use for the valves such materials as:
- sandwich panel;
- board made of tin;
- monolithic construction.
Choosing the gate, it is important to think about what appearance the web will have.
This part of the design will always be visible and the aesthetic component depends on it. No need to think that only large investments can give the canvas an attractive appearance, although of course the most spectacular options are costly.
Speaking about aesthetics, it should also be noted that here the imagination of the owners for the decor of the gate leaf truly knows no boundaries. It may be:
- false wall, the colors are absolutely merging with the wall of the house - the doors become visible only at the moment of their opening;
- cassette design with glazing elements;
- steel corrugations - vertical, horizontal, side, or their various combinations;
- corrugated wood - with the same options and with preservation of the texture of the material, impregnated with antiseptics from rotting and mildew;
- steel with finish, for example, "under the tree";
- film coatingstylized wood texture;
- overlay frieze or drawing "fish bone";
- aluminum models with stainless steel elements;
- false panels and much more.
No less diverse and color palette. Possible staining in any color.
Advantages and disadvantages of the tilt-up construction
The design of this type of gate has the following advantages:
- The cloth is integral, in closed form representing an integral wall. Also very often, a lock system is built into it, which further increases resistance to cracking. In addition, the use of this type of decor as a “false” wall makes the gate almost invisible from the street, which also makes it difficult to break into the garage.
- In the case of compliance with all requirements of installation and installation, the gate is almost immune to rust and other negative environmental factors.In addition, many cladding materials contain impregnation from rot, mildew and other surface-damaging phenomena.
- Tightness. Closed gate tightly pressed against the door frame due to its design.
- The ability to install plastic rollers that will ensure silent operation of the gate, as well as additional springs that will make the opening and closing process safe.
- Do not need extra space for opening the gate. When they are closed, they are an extension of the wall; in the open, they are arranged parallel to the ceiling.
- Lining is possible with any material, decor in any way - from glazing to false panels.
- You can open both manually and with the help of automation, most often with the help of a remote control with remote control. Accordingly, the gate can be either mechanically driven or automatic.
The most commonly used combination of both methods.
- Excellent insulation due to the tightness of the structure, you can also install additional insulation.
- Can be installed in the garage, designed for one or two cars.
- And, of course, do not forget about the simplicity and ease of use.
There are drawbacks to the swing gates, such as:
- Pretty high price. The design consists of an electromechanical drive, a warmed sheet, a stainless steel frame, so it is not cheap. And if such facing materials as, for example, wood or cassette design are used, the price still increases.
- Difficult installation, it is best to do it with the involvement of specialists, at least for consultation, especially if you plan to use expensive materials.
- It is recommended to install this type of door in rooms without heating.
- A large number of materials and consumables required for installation.
Installation is possible only in rectangular openings.
- When the gate is open, the height of the opening is reduced by about 20 cm, which may be important if the car is planned to be put high in the garage.
- If part of the door leaf is damaged, it will be necessary to change the entire leaf; partial replacement is not possible.
- When carrying out thermal insulation work, it is necessary to take into account how much the insulation weighs, since the spring mechanism of the gate is designed for a specific gate weight.
If the weight of the sash with insulation is greatly increased, you will have to mount the counterweights.
- This will have to be taken into account when decorating the gate. The total weight of the blade and frame must not exceed the permissible load on the springs.
- When the gate is lifted, the car must stand at a distance of at least 1.5 m from the garage to avoid damage to the vehicle. If there is a snowdrift in front of the gate, opening the gate can be problematic.
Review the overhead gate in the next video.