Living room design: modern ideas in interior design
Repair and creation of comfort for yourself and your family is an interesting, but very time-consuming task. It all depends on your desire, ability and willingness to make an effort. Not so long ago we could observe typical interiors in most Soviet apartments, but today everyone can create their own unique interior that will meet all the requirements of comfort and please the eye.
Each room in the apartment has a specific role. And no matter how beautiful it eventually turned out, if it does not respond to its functionality, all efforts will be in vain.
The choice of a particular stylistic decision depends on your wishes and preferences. It is worth noting that it should be well combined with the design of other rooms. As a result, you should have a single space with its own atmosphere. You should not rush from one extreme to another and decorate the hall in the Baroque style, and the kitchen in a modern loft style.
As for the functional, The main focus is on a comfortable recreation area where the whole family can gather and spend warm and cozy evenings. If only one person lives in the apartment, then you can consider such an option as the combination of kitchen and living room. In a large family, this can be associated with a number of inconveniences: the smell of food in the whole room, not the most aesthetic appearance of dirty dishes in the sink, breaking the silence when watching a movie with rattling pans, etc.
Another feature worth considering is the fact that this room will be the hallmark of the apartment, where you will receive guests. From this point of view, it should be comfortable for them.
Comfortable chairs or a sofa, a small tea table - attributes that will help you and your guests have a good time.
Often the living room has several functions. To be comfortable and have dinner with the whole family, and watch TV, and do paperwork, it is necessary to provide for certain areas. Thanks to this, the room will become more complex and interesting. It is only important to correctly implement this zoning.
One should not think that only small squares are subject to zoning. Increasingly, designers are trying to create a single space, not divided into rooms, but at the same time performing the function of several traditional rooms. The most popular options for combining zones are:
- Studio. This option is already considered a classic and does not cause much surprise. The so-called “studio apartment” is an independent united space in which there are no separate rooms. Here the issue of zoning is particularly acute.
- Kitchen-living room. A convenient option when households can communicate, even doing different things (cooking, watching TV, etc.). If there are small children in the house, it will be convenient for Mom to take care of everyday worries without losing sight of the baby.
- Living room and bedroom. Quite a difficult option. On the one hand, the bedroom is a personal intimate place that should not be shown off, on the other hand, guests gather in the living room. The solution in this situation can be a transforming bed (which retracts into a wall or a podium), or a folding sofa.It can also be zoning, in which the bed will be hidden from prying eyes.
- Cabinet-living room. A convenient option for those who often work at home. The cabinet can be set aside a small corner, or it can fully and organically fit into the living room space, occupying a large area. It is necessary to consider additional light sources.
Ways to space zoning
Consider the most popular:
- Partitions. Perhaps the easiest and most obvious way to distinguish between different parts of the room. The stereotypical solution is a blind opaque sliding door or the erection of an additional wall with a passage. The obvious minus of such zoning is the narrowing of space. That is why designers, whose main goal is to visually enlarge and expand the existing premises, oppose such an idea.
They do not call at all to refuse partitions. Just consider the version with transparent and translucent options of glass or openwork walls made of drywall, wood, iron and other materials. Also, the role of a partition can be performed by a rack or a plane with through openings that will serve as shelves.
- Furniture. Historically, in most apartments in our country we see furniture that is placed around the perimeter of the room. More recently, no one would have thought of putting a sofa in the middle of the living room. Modern design ideas are embodied in all sorts of options for placement of furniture. And the same sofa in the center of the room can now perform the role of a dividing element between the living room and the kitchen in the case of a studio. If necessary, equip a bed in the living room, you can use the wall-island. From the side of the hall to place a TV on it, and the opposite to perform in the form of a cabinet with shelves or just interesting to decorate it. It will serve as a kind of screen behind which you can arrange the bed.
It is better if it is folding or a transformer, then the room in no way will give out its second destination (bedroom), and guests will not be embarrassed at the sight of your bed, sitting over a cup of tea.
- The columns. Such decorative elements look very gracefully indoors. Do not think that these are only those sculptural forms that we used to see in theaters and palaces.Modern columns can be part of a wall (corner, ledge, etc.), painted in a different color or trimmed with another material (brick, wood, etc.). It should be understood that when using false columns, the initial geometry of space is broken. Make sure the proportions are kept and the room looks organic.
Additional charm acquire columns, illuminated LED flight. In the evening, it serves as both a source of light and a decorative element.
- Podium. Very effective element of room design. Thus, you can allocate a dining area, a kitchen or recreation area. It all depends on your requirements and wishes. Contrary to conventional wisdom, a small room can be equipped with a podium. In this case, the storage systems hidden under it or even a rolling out bed will save space in other rooms. The podium looks particularly impressive in large rooms (at least 20 square meters), emphasizing their scope.
- Finish The use of various materials for finishing zones is one of the most simple and practical solutions. Do not forget the sense of proportion. You should not try to fit all your ideas in one room.Combining different textures and colors is not easy. So try to visualize the picture, which will turn out in the end. If you can, ask the designer for advice so that you will be comfortable and comfortable living in the resulting environment.
Not necessarily limited to a different color of wallpaper or paint, show imagination. A tree in its various manifestations, decorative brick and stone, mirrors, bamboo and other building materials used to single out individual zones will look very fresh and nontrivial.
- Shine. Lighting decorators pay special attention. The same interior due to the light can look completely different. Yes, you yourself might have noticed, if one of the lamps on the chandelier burns out, one of the zones becomes insufficiently lit. It is not enough just to hang a few chandeliers or lamps and just "light up" the room. Consider several lighting scenarios. Each zone should have independent light sources. This will help, for example, to comfortably relax in the bedroom area, while the lamp can be lit above the dining table.In the area of the office, equipped with a floor lamp or a desk lamp, it will be pleasant to do paperwork, and households at this time can safely watch TV.
- Decorative zones will also help to highlight areas. LED strip perfectly demarcates the space, but this option is relevant for the dark time of day. Spotlights are completely invisible in the daytime, but perfectly perform the function of light in the evening light. The main thing - do not overdo it. Everything should be concise and exquisite. Chandeliers, floor lamps, sconces and other light sources should certainly be combined with each other.
Restrictions on style, applicable for the living room, practically does not exist. Decide which one is closer to you and start acting. Do not forget about the details, it is they who make the interior complete and comfortable. The living room should not drastically stand out from the overall style. Having thought through the concept of the design of the entire apartment, it will be easier to determine the filling of the living room. We offer you for consideration possible options for styles, but this does not mean that this list can not be supplemented by your own and unique design:
- Oriental - very cozy, serene and relaxing and relaxing style. It can combine brightness, saturation, an abundance of prints and details. Only a designer can make it harmonious and modern. Otherwise, you risk going over that fine line and get a “gypsy camp” room instead of the “colorful East”.
- How nice to be back home and mentally find yourself on the ocean, where the white chiffon curtains can easily be swayed by the sea breeze, and fresh seafood is waiting on the table. Design your living room nautical style certain shades will help: from white to dark blue, an abundance of light. Attributes in the form of "wind rose", anchors will enhance the effect.
- Colonial - very interesting, but at the same time restrained style. Preferring him, remember that in those days when he was born, there was no wallpaper. The walls can be simply painted or finished with silk and velvet. From the attributes can be identified sculptures, wooden figurines, wicker baskets, globes and maps.
- Country style distinguishes an abundance of natural materials: from the decoration of the walls and ending with textiles.Details can be taken not only from the decoration of Russian villages, but also from other Slavic countries, which will give the interior individuality. Close to country style with some reservations.
- Modern classics reflects the quality of traditional furniture, the observance of classical proportions and expensive textiles. The color spectrum at the same time remains restrained, as close as possible to natural shades.
- Fusion - It is a combination of elements of different styles in the same room. This is a rather difficult, but at the same time very interesting task. Try to connect close to each other styles: modern and minimalism, classic and Italian.
- It is difficult to name the distinctive attributes or objects inherent american style. But it always gives arrangement of furniture. Very often, such a scheme can be seen in the living room-studio, when chairs and sofas are located in the center and form a recreation area, while being zoning elements.
That is, it seems that the apartment has no separate rooms, and the whole space is simply competently divided into certain zones.
- Eco-friendly building materials of the last generation allow to imitate any texture and volume.In this case, you can make a parody of wood trim, but all the style calls for using only natural materials.
- Safari - These are rich shades and prints for a tiger, zebra or crocodile. In short, all that is associated with Africa and safari.
- Japanese style characterizes the minimum of furniture. It is better if it is generally invisible, no bulky cabinets and mezzanines. Japanese hieroglyphs and drawings will underline the given theme.
- The abundance of white, light, almost weightless furniture, natural materials - these are distinctive features Scandinavian style. The room should create a sense of freedom and spaciousness. The presence of artificial and natural light will help.
- Modern Many are afraid of him because of a distorted concept. This is a very organic style, which has modular furniture, natural finishes, a natural palette of light colors, the use of natural materials, forged elements and the absence of heavy interior items.
- Minimalism - its name speaks for itself. However, with seeming simplicity, it is very important to think about how not to overload the interior with furniture,while retaining all the functionality.
- Many do not like loft, as it is considered unacceptable to leave brick walls without finishing. The task of a real designer is to create the feeling of a cozy and habitable space even with such an unusual wall. A distinctive feature is the union and the creation of a single space without division into rooms.
- Baroque can only be implemented in large rooms. Bulky furniture, the impressive size of the chandelier and floor vases simply will not find a place in the small living rooms, and even an area of 17 square meters. m will be small to them. This style boasts expensive textiles, vintage pieces of furniture, stucco and carved wooden doorways.
- Wooden walls and floor, fireplace, stone as a finishing material (fragmentary) - this is all there is chalet style. Main items should not seem new. Surfaces and furniture are artificially aged and give them a slightly shabby look, but it looks very cozy and homely.
Colors and decor
It is difficult to give universal advice on what color or color combination to use in the living room interior. Each of us has our own preferences and tastes.Universal are natural shades of beige, brown, gray and green colors. But it is not necessary to carry out everything from walls to furniture in the same color range.
To make the living room look harmonious, you can use the golden rule of all designers - 60-30-10. It means that Primary color in the interior should be about 60%. The next 30% is an extra touch, and the remaining 10% is an accent. Obviously, this whole range should be ideally combined with each other. Find the best options will help the color wheel (it is used by all designers), located next to the color and located opposite each other form the perfect combination.
As for the decor, it should look organic in a given space. There should not be a feeling that this is decoration for decoration. Pictures look great in the living room. Recently modular pictures became very actual option. Family photos, decorative elements, comfortably located on the shelves, create a homely cozy atmosphere.
With all the variety of choices, you can highlight the main prints that feel great in the living room:
- flowers and vegetation;
- animal drawings (animal skins);
- classical patterns (can be large and very small);
- newspapers and print print (this can be wallpaper or real newspapers, entered into the interior as an accent);
- strips (they can be both vertical and horizontal, but you should not glue all the walls with similar wallpaper).
The most common decorative object in the interior of the living room are paintings. Their versatility is that, depending on the image, they can fit any style and design.
Outdoor accessories include vases and statuettes or large statues. Such bulky items will look ridiculous in small rooms filled with furniture, but in spacious rooms they will find their rightful place and become its decoration. On the market you can find all sorts of candles of all sizes and colors. They can comfortably sit on shelves or niches, or even mimic the presence of a fireplace.
When considering the issue of zoning, we already understood the important role lighting plays in this matter. A classic option is the location of the chandelier in the center of the room.In this case, it is necessary to correlate its dimensions with the size of the room itself.
If you are used to spending evenings in front of the TV, then consider a dim backlight or an additional sconce (floor lamp) for the evening time. But during the day you may need an additional light source, for example, above the dining area.
As for the ceiling, in addition to the chandelier, you can provide spotlights or LED lighting. This will help create a uniform illumination of the whole room, and in the evening the dimmed light of such additional lighting will create the necessary mood.
Also recently it has become important to make furniture, shelves and paintings with lighting. This creates additional light accents that look very impressive.
We can not imagine a kitchen without a stove and a working surface, a bedroom without a bed, and a living room without cozy chairs or a sofa. The choice of furniture depends on the functional load this room carries in your apartment.
No need to clutter the space. Let it remain a sense of spaciousness and comfort. This can be facilitated by hidden storage elements, as well as furniture, the dimensions of which are commensurate with the square of the room.As for the design of individual objects, in sum, they should create a single composition in harmony by purpose, color and style.
Tips and tricks
When finishing the living room you must consider the following nuances:
- Do not try to save on everything. You do not create the interior for one year. And cheap low-quality things can not last for a long time.
- Clearly define the style of the whole apartment and follow it.
- Consider several lighting options. This will need to be done before installing a stretch or plasterboard ceiling.
- Do not neglect the details, they emphasize the style and complement the interior.
- Be careful with the choice of colors. To understand what color you feel comfortable in, analyze your wardrobe or remember the color of your favorite thing.
We offer you a few examples of stylish living rooms. Liked the image can be a source of inspiration and ideas for rework your room.
On the fashion trends in 2018 in the interior design, see the following video.