Brick fireplaces are in particular demand among homeowners. This design has not only decorative functions. The main advantage of such fireplaces is the ability to heat the room. In addition, a brick stove is used for cooking.
Modern technologies keep pace with the needs of people. It is for this reason that the new fireplaces have replaced the long-known brick stoves. This design is a monoblock with a pipe channel and installed on a single basis. In addition, each element has its own special meaning.
Conventional stoves have no decorative meaning, but they can be cooked. Fireplaces are able to please the eye and heat the room. But the fireplace-stove combines the functionality of both devices with an interesting design. It is like a fireplace with a stove - very comfortable and functional. The main advantages of a brick stove are:
- The facility is able to warm up the air in the room rather quickly.
- The stove and fireplace can be used separately from each other. You can only cook or just heat the room - as you wish.
- Efficiency about 80%.
- Ash trays with holes under each fire chamber make the cleaning process very simple and quick.
- With high-quality manufacturing, a brick stove-fireplace serves for more than one decade.
The design can be installed in such a way that the stove will be localized in the kitchen space, and the fireplace in the hall. If a real master takes over, the stove becomes a true work of art and will decorate your home for many years. A brick stove fireplace will be a good choice for a country house. This will save on heating and electrical as a whole. And still such design can be used as needed.
There are a lot of variations of brick units. They differ in complexity and functionality. The most common are such types: Swedish, Finnish, Russian and Dutch. There are also modified versions of the stoves, which are named after their creators.
There are stoves that do not have a hob at all. They represent the elementary construction of walls with channels located between them for the exhaust of smoke, furnaces, cleaning and blowing chambers. Such units are used for heating. Another option is a fireplace stove with a heating and cooking surface. Such furnaces attract with their multifunctionality. They are more complex in design and installation. Consider several interesting varieties of brick fireplaces:
With open firebox
Fireplaces with an open firebox allow you to warm the air in a room in a fairly short time. If this design provides for the cooking surface - it is very easy to cook. Owners of such fireplace-stoves can install grills in the house and grill barbecue at any time of the year.
With air heating
The best for home heating are fireplaces with air heating. In such constructions used cast iron furnace. The duct system is distributed throughout the house and the casing in combination gives the desired result - full heating. The system works so that the cold air goes straight to the firebox,Heats and rises through the pipes up.
With water heating
Fireplaces with a water circuit are gaining popularity. This design may include a heating and cooking panel. The stove connected to the heating has a great advantage over its fellows - it pleases the eye, warms the whole house, and makes it possible to cook. Such designs are often used for baths.
As already mentioned, there are options for modifications. But knowing the basic models, you can easily choose a convenient format for yourself.
Properly chosen fireplace should be combined with the overall style of your interior. Only then such an addition will look beautiful. Fireplace stoves are often made independently or by request. The Finnish model is quite popular. Consider the most popular styles in which this unit is made:
Minimalism differs severity of forms and lines. In the houses of this style install small fireplaces, which serve as a decorative and heating role. Laconic design with a minimum of decorative details - the perfect set. Any room in your home will be even more comfortablewhen the fireplace appears in the mini version.
The small stove-fireplace will fit well into the minimalist interior and will delight you and your guests. In addition, this option is well suited for homes with a small area. Here you can also install a design in which the stove will be turned to the kitchen, and the fireplace itself to the hall.
Fireplaces of this style were the first. They were established by noble persons as an interesting piece of furniture and a sign of their superiority. Such stoves, fireplaces always have the correct form and only expensive finishing or carving.
Such units usually go flush with the wall. This arrangement determines the main decorative accent on the firebox itself. All projects of such furnaces provide a U-shaped portal. But you can choose and not embedded option. In this case, the stove is located near the wall, and the chimney is closed with a stylized casing.
Such a fireplace is often chosen by young people. You can buy a lot of interesting options. Such units are often used as architectural details. Such fireplaces are often installed so that they merge with the wall and resemble a window with fire.An interesting option is when a double-sided stove is installed in the interior wall. With this arrangement, you can use the design as a piece of furniture on the one hand, and on the other as an oven.
These are country style fireplaces. This design will look good in a tree house. Natural wood ceilings, harmoniously chosen wall finishes and dark floors. Moreover, the use of wallpaper in this case is not at all practical. They will quickly become unusable because of the stove. Good Russian oven. Carved decorative elements will add originality and exclusivity.
Fireplaces of this style are rather massive and clearly stand out against the background of the wall. They are designed to show everyone around their power and sophistication in one person. In the interior of the corresponding style, such fireplaces look like a charming integral attribute.
Principle of operation
Any furnace has three main components: a fire chamber, a pipe, a flue. The main part is the firebox. There is the burning of wood. At the bottom there is a hole. Through it, the air enters the furnace, which is necessary for combustion.This hole is closed with a special grate, so the wood does not fall out. Air enters the firebox, and ash and other combustion products fall from the firebox into the hole.
There is a special door that allows you to put firewood in the furnace. And the firebox is closed on all sides. Just above the furnace is the hob. It heats up with the help of fire and allows you to cook. Ovens with ovens also work.
The ash chamber is located under the firebox. It also has a door so that you can clean the camera. And the door is able to regulate the amount of air that enters the furnace. In the arch of the firebox there is one more hole - hilo. It is through him that the hot air comes out, which heats the oven.
Pipes are designed to remove the combustion products from the furnace. There are two types:
- Mounted. Installed on the stove.
- Indigenous. They may have their own foundation or be located inside the wall.
The most important feature that distinguishes the stove from the fireplace - in the second version, you can freely watch the fire. To ensure that the heat does not evaporate into the pipe, install a heat shield. In the combined version, the stove has all the advantages of a stove and allows you to observe the flame.
The variety of materials available for the manufacture of fireplaces, furnaces made of brick is rather limited, but allows you to create unique products. Units can be constructed from both ordinary brick and figured. A large role in choosing a brick has its strength mark.
Chamotte brick (less often - quartz) is used quite often because it is not sensitive to high temperatures. They lay out the area near the furnace. Heat-resistant material is required. The figured brick is actual if you do not plan to decorate a fireplace furnace. If any decorative work is planned, the external data of the masonry itself do not matter.
Clinker brick is one of the varieties of quartz. But in its manufacture apply slightly modified technology. It is used less frequently for two reasons: the material is quite expensive and heavy. But if your furnace is large, then such a brick is perfect for the construction of the foundation.
In order for the type of structure to please the eye, it is necessary to be guided by certain requirements when laying out the facing layer. The brick should be quite full-bodied, have a good heat transfer.The paint will help to create a unique look for your fireplace.
Tools and fixtures
Making a fireplace stove requires certain accessories. The most necessary:
- Kiln brick
- Heat-resistant clay mixture.
- Door with heat-resistant glass.
- Pig-iron door for a fire chamber.
- Iron door for chimney and ash pan.
- Furnace grates.
- Cooking surface. Cast iron stove should have the number of burners you need.
- Corners and corner shelf. As a rule, they are made of steel.
- Sheet steel up to 3 mm. Asbestos or basalt sheets for thermal insulation.
- Pipe and parts for the connection of the chimney hole.
- Rolls and waterproofing boards.
- Mixtures of concrete and soil.
- Bags with rubble and sand.
- Ceramic granite or tile.
You need to choose materials very carefully. It is on their quality depends on the strength and durability of the fireplace-furnace.
Before you impose a brick fireplace with a brick you need to make a scheme. It reflects all the necessary elements in the right places. The construction takes place in several stages:
- Base. We dig a foundation pit and fill it with gravel. Formwork is constructed with a planed board, and the foundation pit is poured with cement.
- After 3-5 days, work continues. The brickwork is covered with roofing felt. Now laid out the bottom row of bricks.
- Next play a big role drawings. The rest of the bricks are laid out with them and casting is mounted. In order to better brick in contact with the mixture it is soaked in water. Order is important. Stick to it and the work will not have to redo. The inner sides of the furnace are smoothed out in the process so that later the products of combustion will not settle there.
- Now the chimney. It is important to remember about fire safety measures.
- The stove should dry naturally. For this you need just a few weeks.
- During the active drying period, the furnace is heated. Do this until all the seams are the same tone.
Types of chimneys
The flue acts as a duct system and is located inside a brickwork. The dimensions of the chimney directly depend on the dimensions of the fireplace. Chimneys are of several types:
- The simplest chimneys consist of specific sections that combine direct and return air flow. This construction ends with a pipe. Recurrent areas are constructed from parallel channels.This is done in order to increase efficiency and improve air heating.
- Multiturn chimneys. Differ with the previous only the number of alternations of sections. The walls warm up more evenly because of this.
- Chimney without canals. In such designs, everything is focused on the camera. Gases from Khaila tend to the arch of the chamber, there they cool down and condescend back. Couples give their heat to the walls of the chamber-cap. Exhaust gases enter the pipe through the holes at the bottom and side.
You can use any kind. It all depends on your needs.
Experienced stoves can give useful advice on the process of construction and on the operation of the fireplace-furnace. Coniferous firewood is not used, otherwise the chimney becomes dirty and will cease to function. Firewood should always be well dried, it is important for long burning. In no case do not burn household garbage and various waste paper - toxins will get into the air.
A sauna stove must meet many criteria. Reviews show that it is better to pay attention to the Finnish manufacturers. For every detail of their products there is a guarantee that simplifies repairs. The fire shield must be fairly reliable.
When building with your own hand, always use diagrams. They will help you understand exactly how the components should be placed in each line. In the process, be sure to use the building level. Corner and frontal buildings are most popular. But it depends on the overall layout of the house.