Those who first decided to start building a country house must have considered installing a fireplace. However, not many have the fortune to build a brick oven. It takes a lot of space, so if the area of the house allows, you can install such a design. But if there is no extra space, or the house is built on poor, floating soil and the base for the furnace cannot be done - what to do in this case? It's so desirable comfort, warmth and live fire. There is a way out - it is an iron fireplace, which is easy to build with your own hands.
For the manufacture of original designs, which include metal fireplaces, metal sheets are needed, it is possible to copper.
Between the sheets are attached with welding seams or metal rivets. The shape of the sheets, their design, pattern of joints - all this relates to a separate topic on the design of the fireplace.
However, the basic architectural design of iron fireplaces is the shape of caps and fasteners of the unit to the ceiling.
For a long time of existence of fireplaces, the shape of their structures changed hundreds of times. Today you can see the most incredible models of heating units, which under the power to decorate any interior.
Depending on the place of installation of iron fireplaces for the house, the following options are distinguished: corner fireplaces; wall and mounted, central and embedded. Particularly popular and in demand is a hanging fireplace.
Differ heating devices in the shape and size of the wood chamber. The furnace is cone-shaped, cylindrical, in the form of a parallelepiped and other geometric shapes.
Also, iron fireplaces on firewood are conditionally divided into two types:
- closed - the firebox is closed with heat-resistant glass, thereby increasing the productivity of the device and there is no question about its safety;
- open - the firebox does not hide anything.
Just like any heating device, an iron fireplace, even if it is very small, should be installed in a fairly spacious room.
This product is used most often in summer cottages, in country buildings. If a biofuel model was purchased, then it can be installed in an apartment without any problems.
A metal fireplace weighs much less than a brick one, but its mass still exceeds 100 kg. If you hoist such a stove on a wooden floor, floorboards can bend over. Therefore, experts advise to further strengthen the installation of the furnace structure.
In addition, around the iron fireplace will not be superfluous fire insulation in the form of tin or asbestos.
Advantages and disadvantages
The most significant disadvantage of an iron fireplace is that it cools down quickly, as a result, fuel must be used very often, especially if the firebox is small. Also, you can easily burn yourself on such a furnace, its body gets very hot and you need to be extremely careful not to get burned.
The advantages of the heating metal construction include the fact that such a unit can be installed in any building and room. In addition, the advantages of an iron fireplace include:
- high efficiency;
- relatively light weight;
- ease of installation;
- rapid heating of the room.
Iron fireplaces can be revetted with bricks. This is done to keep warm for a while. No drawings are needed for such work. The brick is laid with a gap, because when heated, the iron furnace tends to expand.
When using firewood as the main type of fuel, metal fireplaces can produce different colors of the flame, which is especially good from an aesthetic point of view. Blue flame will provide aspen firewood, oak - bright red.
What fuel to use?
As practice shows, there is nothing better than fuelwood (dry). The ideal breeds are oak, aspen, ash. Such logs are burning for a long time, so you can enjoy plenty of dancing flames and heat emanating from them. Also for metal boilers suitable pellets - compressed waste wood. They are loaded into the firebox in the right quantity (depending on the size of the heating device), and the intensity of the heating is controlled using a manual control unit.
There is a lot of soot from coniferous trees, so the stove-oven workers do not recommend using them as fuel. And birch rocks have high heat transfer, so thanks to them you can quickly warm up the room to the desired temperature.
Also, some models of iron units run on gas. Such devices are safer, but it’s impossible to make them yourself.
Recommendations for the arrangement
Making an iron fireplace with your own hands is not an easy task, but doable. It requires certain experience and skills, as well as consideration of certain points. The result will be predictable only when the drawings will be prepared, and all its points are strictly followed.
First you need to decide on the place where the product will stand. It should not interfere with anyone, so it is better to install it at the end wall. The window seat is not suitable, as undesirable drafts may occur in the room, especially if the windows are old with insufficient tightness.
- When a place is selected, you can proceed to the calculations. Dimensions of construction depend on the area of heated housing.
- For the manufacture of an iron fireplace, sheet metal, various supports, fasteners, and knees of stainless steel are necessary.
- It is better to make the firebox wider, but not too deep. To increase heat transfer, its walls should increase towards the room.
- The smoke hole should be less than the area of the furnace from 8 to 15 times.
- The height of the pipe must be at least four meters (depending on the particular construction of the roof).
- Insulation is a very important moment.It is necessary to isolate the walls and protect all the joints of the chimney.
- In such a device there will not be too much traction, so it is necessary to make a cumulative shaft, where the smoke will accumulate, and then go through the pipe to the street.
- A prerequisite in the inner part of the fireplace is the presence of a gas threshold. It will protect the unit from pressure drops, and will not allow the formation of sparks.
- Additional grille will also be needed to extinguish sparks, forged tools are also needed.
Naturally, it is impossible to do everything with your own hands, and no matter how you look at it, but many items will have to be ordered from a specialist, giving the master drawings with the required dimensions.