Tiles on the kitchen apron
The kitchen is one of the few places in the house where we spend most of the time. Cooking and eating, chatting with loved ones takes place here. Every hostess wants her work space to be properly planned. An integral part of any kitchen becomes an apron that protects the wall from grease and soot.
Features and benefits
An important component of modern kitchen is the apron. It is located in the working space between the wall cabinets and the surface of the worktop. The classic design option for this area is tile. It has several advantages compared with other materials. Tile is a very practical and durable material. With a beautiful and original appearance, it is very practical and does not require complex care. A significant advantage of the tile over other materials is that it shows the least visible traces of dirt than on other materials.
The working wall in the kitchen was tiled in Soviet times. To paint and plaster this wall has no reason. Apron is the ideal option for protection against household pollution. A significant advantage of such an apron is that it is easy to change, without making a complete repair in the kitchen. This design element will fit into any interior and give the kitchen a complete set of looks. It is important to remember that the apron is first laid out from the tile, and only then the kitchen set is mounted.
Aprons in the kitchen can be of completely different material. But the most popular tile or ceramic tile. This is due to the ease of care and a huge assortment of colors and textures. Different brands represent a wide range of kitchen tiles. Various textures, color solutions, various plots, inserts in the form of panels like the most fastidious woman. There are glossy or matte surfaces. Samples with embossed and smooth patterns are on the free market.
Tile is a very durable material and can last for several decades. This durable material has a minus.This material is for putty seams. It must be selected very carefully, otherwise dirt and fungus may occur. But modern technologies help to successfully deal with such a disadvantage. Another disadvantage is the complexity of laying such a material. In the event of any unforeseen incident, it is extremely difficult to eliminate all the shortcomings on your own; you will need the services of a specialist. The cost of such an apron is much higher than that of plastic or panels. But a long service life easily brightens up all the flaws.
As a result, we can conclude about the benefits of using tiles for a kitchen apron.
- Durable material that can withstand heavy loads.
- The advantages of this material are resistance to household chemicals and moisture resistance. If the hostess will often use cleaning products, the tile will not lose its original appearance.
- Large fire resistance.
- Enough long life.
- Good frost resistance.
- High degree of resistance to ultraviolet.
- Dust does not accumulate on the tile, which allows not to spend a lot of time for cleaning.
- An apron made of tiles through the use of an interesting ornament can be a key part of the whole concept of the interior in the kitchen.
The disadvantages and peculiarities of such material include:
- The laborious process of installation and installation. It requires quite a long preparatory work.
- The cost of quality material will cost much more expensive than PVC or MDF panels.
- The seams on the tile can significantly reduce the hygiene of the material. But modern tools will easily help to cope with this minus.
The classic version of the calculation is a display of monochrome and medium size tiles. Very simple and reliable version of the apron for a standard kitchen interior. Very budget and versatile option. But even with such a simple display, it looks beautiful and stylish. In work the glossy, rectangular, opaque or convex tile can quite be used.
Another fashionable option to use tiles for a kitchen apron is mosaic. Basically it is a tile of glass or ceramic. Due to the small size of it, you can lay out various patterns and ornaments.For the qualitative layout of the apron will require an experienced professional. Such material is more expensive than larger options. If the hostess is afraid of frivolousness, then from a similar tile there will be an excellent edging of the apron.
The modern model of the tile carries the interesting name "hogs". A feature of the tile is its small bulge. It can go as separate bricks, or be placed several on a large panel. The effect created by such tiles is very original. He may like the lover of the classics. But due to the unusual texture it will look original and stylish in any interior. According to experts, this type of tile is best suited for a medium-sized kitchen. Relief tiles suitable for compact kitchen.
Panels are also laid out from small tile fragments. A distinctive feature is the creation of a central composition or the formation of several compositions and drawings. Panel lay out a standard tile or mosaic. This apron will look harmonious in the kitchen in the style of Provence. Often for decoration using images of animals and fruits. Most designers recommend laying out the panel under the kitchen hood.
Modern wall tiles can be made under the texture of wood or stone. This option is perfect for non-standard and original design solutions. Clinker and Shakhty tiles are very popular. Samples of such tiles can be seen in any hardware store. Recently, photo tile and self-adhesive tiles have become very popular. Decorative tiles are presented in a large assortment. It is only necessary to choose the appropriate option for your interior.
Consider the most popular types of tiles that are used in the manufacture of the apron in the kitchen.
Ceramic tile is the most popular when making a kitchen apron. According to the surface texture, it can be smooth, embossed or voluminous. Experts do not recommend choosing the last two options for the kitchen. Due to their texture, they are difficult to clean. Ceramic tile is represented by the widest range of colors and design. This tile is perfectly combined with other types of tiles.
The glass tile looks very beautiful and spectacular. It is glossy and matte, transparent and colored. In modern versions inside the glass can be flowers or leaves. It looks good combination of ceramics and glass inserts. With an excellent combination of glass shimmers very beautiful and attracts admiring glances.
Mirror tile, unlike fragile mirrors, has several advantages. It is very easy to care for her. Due to this tile you can create a spectacular kitchen design. Mirror surfaces visually increase the space.
Apron in the kitchen of PVC - the cheapest option to design the wall. Along with the pros, there are a large number of disadvantages. This material is afraid of elevated temperatures. Around the gas stove it can easily melt. This is not quite an eco-friendly material.
Colors and decor
First of all, it is necessary to determine the accents in the interior. If the hostess wants a bright kitchen set, then designers recommend choosing tiles for an apron in neutral colors. In recent years, many prefer to use the style of "Provence" in their home interiors. Tile in the style of "Provence" gentle, with floral patterns.Such tiles certainly give the room warmth and comfort.
Gzhel or tile with an unobtrusive pattern is perfect for a classic interior. Many people like to lay out an apron in the kitchen brick or use materials under the brick. Beautiful and stylish looks in the style of high-tech tile, decorated under a stone, wood or gray. The apron decorated with such tiles will look restrained and stylish.
For an orange kitchen, cream or beautiful patchwork tiles are suitable.
Black and white tile apron will be a contrast option for the red kitchen. For a white kitchen, turquoise, green or trendy beige palette will do. Beautiful lime-colored tile, refreshing the beige tones of the kitchen. Another option to play on contrasts will be a beige kitchen and an apron with the image of coffee beans. Beautiful and colorful mosaic decorate any kitchen.
It is important to remember that the color of the tile in the working area must be combined with the rest of the kitchen design. Contrast options are appropriate if they are combined with the rest of the interior.
The width and height of the kitchen is closely related to the choice of tile for the working area. Often there are options for tiles 20x20 and 20x30.Such a large tile is often divided into squares of standard size 10x10 cm. As a rule, fruits, tea sets or vegetables are depicted on such tiles. Small tile starts at 2.5 x 2.5 cm. It is great for decorating a kitchen apron in the form of a mosaic. When choosing a tile for the kitchen, it is important to remember that the large one will make the kitchen visually smaller, and the small one will expand the space. The tile can be either standard 10x10 cm, or 15x15, 10x30 cm in size. The main thing is that it blends harmoniously into the interior.
How to choose
When choosing a tile for the design of a kitchen apron, experts recommend taking into account several parameters.
- Better to choose glossy surfaces. They add space to the room by reflecting light. The tile is very easy to clean.
- For the kitchen is to choose options without relief. From the bulk surface is much more difficult to remove dust and dirt.
- There must be a protective layer on the tile. It will protect the tile from the penetration of trace elements during cleaning.
- It is worth buying products in one batch. Colors in different batches may vary significantly.
- The tile should be free of cracks and chips.
- In the kitchen there must be some element with which the tile will be combined in the future.
- The smaller the tile will be, the more it will require a tile handler for its work.
- It is important to consider the type of lighting in the kitchen. The same tile option may look completely different in cold and warm lighting.
In most cases, the kitchen suite is in harmony with the tile for the apron. You can choose the desired design from the catalog, but you should only buy after a personal inspection. For the corner kitchen, experts recommend choosing a tile of small size, which will not visually make the room already. Tile for an outdoor cafe should be very durable. After all, cafes and restaurants are places of the highest cross. The original decision of the last years was the use of an apron for the kitchen without top cabinets. Due to the lack of upper cabinets, the interior still looks stylish and harmonious. But for a harmonious appearance it is worth very carefully to select the tile and headset options.
Peculiarities of DIY styling
It is believed that the border of the apron should coincide with the border of the kitchen set, but this happens very rarely.This is influenced by many factors. Including the purchase of kitchen furniture after the repair. The height of the apron in the kitchen is on average 60 cm. The location of the hood must be tiled up to the border of the wall cabinets. Most owners make repairs in their apartments themselves. Therefore, you need to follow a clear rule of laying tiles, especially beginners. All tile layouts should be planned out before work starts.
- Before starting work, remove the previous finishing material. On the old tile can not be put. Then it is important to align the walls well and plaster them.
- It is necessary to clearly mark the boundaries for future installation. Calculate all the necessary material
- Then the entire surface of the wall must be primed.
- At the bottom of the border, you must attach a metal profile or a wooden block. The location of the profile should be clearly horizontal with which the construction level will help.
- The next step is dilution of the composition, according to the manufacturer's instructions. Glue is applied to the wall with a notched trowel.
- After laying the first row on the wall, you need to check the correctness of laying with a level.It is important to install plastic crosses between tiles. In the future, they will serve for the formation of seams.
- Then you should lay out the entire working wall of a diamond. It is important when laying out not to forget to close the end.
- As a rule, after laying out the apron, it is left to dry for about a day. After the end of this time you need to pull out all the plastic crosses from the seams. All tile seams are thoroughly cleaned of glue.
- Using a rubber spatula and moisture-resistant grout, you need to carefully handle all the seams. This technique will help avoid the appearance of fungus at the site of the seams.
- After the grout is dry, you should thoroughly wash the entire surface of the kitchen apron. In some cases, the worker processes the seams with a lacquer composition. Such a technique is often used to impart a monolithic surface to a wall.
- After completing all the work on the apron display, installation of the kitchen unit is possible.
In addition to the standard diamond styling, there are more original ways. Mirror tiles are often laid in a chaotic manner, which ultimately gives a very unusual effect. Laying the tiles in a staggered or diagonal pattern is an interesting solution.A more experienced master can create an interesting composition by arranging decorative tiles at different angles of inclination. Laying tiles in an original way under the power of a more experienced master.
How much is
The choice of masters in laying tiles is large enough. Some construction stores offer contacts of workers, as well as a large selection in the newspapers. Depending on the length of service and professional skills, the price for a standard tile layout starts from 600 rubles per 1 square meter. If the customer has a desire to put the tile in a more original way, the price rises to 900 rubles per square meter of the kitchen apron.
The review of novelties from famous brands
Every season, big brands offer interesting and non-standard wall tile collections. Consider the most popular brands for the production of tiles.
KERAMA MARAZZI - a well-known domestic manufacturer of tiles for about 30 years. The main markets for ceramic tiles are Russia and neighboring countries. In the manufacture of tiles used innovative technology. Collections of tiles surprise with their diversity and compliance with fashion trends.
The Belarusian company Keramin has been leading its history since the mid 50s. XX century. Over its long history, they successfully developed and turned from a simple factory to a large enterprise. Currently, the company is the largest supplier for Eastern Europe.
Spain is famous for many products. One of the largest suppliers of ceramic tiles to all countries of the world.
Polish tile has long been very popular. Value for money speaks for itself. Budget option with a large selection of colors and textures. Due to the natural deposits of clay, in Poland for a long time produced tiles. Currently, they occupy the 6th place in terms of tile export in the world.
Interesting options in interior design
Currently, there is a huge variety of different solutions for the design of the kitchen interior.
A stylish solution would be a combination of a kitchen unit in a cool beige tones and the same tile laid out in a checkerboard pattern. A light ornament on hotel apron fragments will help dilute this color combination.
Making tiles under Gzhel will add fashionable notes of a snow-white kitchen.
The mosaic will help to give volume to the room and dilute dark tones of furniture.