Ceiling lights for the kitchen
The kitchen should be filled with light. But when it is impossible to do this at the expense of windows, ceiling lights come to the rescue.
There are many types of ceiling lights, but you can divide them into three main groups.
In modern kitchen interiors, it is not as extensively used as before. But in the classic interiors she has a place now. Still, one cannot do without it in large kitchens, where a separate zone is allocated for the dining table, which requires separate light. Many will say that the chandelier is inconvenient, it hides the space, but this is not quite so. Modern designers develop various forms of chandeliers. This is not only the ceiling lamps hanging over your head, which is not very suitable for small kitchens, but also various lamps that stretch along a horizontal plane that will not disturb you. The chandelier, of course, will not be able to illuminate all distant corners, but it can be combined with the local lighting.
This type of lighting is perfect if your kitchen has suspended or suspended ceilings. In most cases, they are used as a local highlight. But there are design options when spotlights are used to illuminate the entire kitchen. Especially often it is used in a small kitchen.
As in the previous group, they are most often used to highlight the working area and the area above the table where food is taken. Most often it is a group of the same spotlights that are installed on a common panel, and it, in turn, is attached to the ceiling. They shine well, but for some reason they are not widely used.
There are also a lot of varieties of lighting
- Glow plugs. These are ordinary lamps that are screwed into a spotlight, or chandelier. The light is not very bright, but they consume electricity in huge sizes.
- Halogen. They shine brightly, have a use, as well as incandescent lamps, in chandeliers and in spotlights. Electricity consumption on a par with incandescent bulbs. It is dangerous to use in PVC ceilings due to the fact that they get very hot.
- Fluorescent - these are energy-saving lamps, have a range of applications the same as the two previous points, but their power consumption is 5 times less.
- LED. This view is a ribbon with many LEDs that can also be mounted on the ceiling to highlight the working area, or to emphasize different levels of the ceiling. They shine brightly, spend the minimum amount of electricity, but they are expensive.
By type of installation distinguish
- built in;
Recessed - these are models of spotlights. Their name speaks for itself. They are built into suspended or suspended ceilings. There are built-in lamps of directional radiation or rotary.
Overhead lights - screwed to the ceiling. The basic requirement is a rigid foundation. There are round (square) or rectangular (oval) shape. With a lining of a rectangular shape, the lamp will visually stretch the space.
Suspended arrange in large kitchens, usually in the area of the dining table. They are hung on a hook in the ceiling and are the main lighting device in the interior.
Features and benefits
The lighting in the kitchen in itself bears not only the role of lighting, but also has an aesthetic component. The quality of the selected fixtures will depend not only on the convenience of cooking, but also comfortable finding you in the kitchen. That is why the choice of kitchen lighting should be approached thoroughly.
Each type of lamps described above takes place on the kitchen ceiling.
Suspended chandeliers fit the large kitchens, but small ones will clutter up, concealing an already small space.
Overhead lights, on the contrary, are suitable for a small kitchen. They will not occupy space, and if you choose an oval or rectangular shape, they will push it apart.
Spotlights are installed in suspended ceilings, in the zone of illumination of the working area. In a small kitchen they can be installed as a main light, then the best option would be to connect the cooking zone to a separate switch.
In the working area it is better to install lights with a turn, so that you can direct the light directly to the cutting table.
Lamps with LEDs will help not only save electricity, but also highlight the multi-level ceiling, thereby visually increase the space.
Based on the style of your kitchen, you can choose lamps of warm or cold light. It is worth remembering that warm light increases the sharpness of colors, and cold lighting can distort their transmission. So, blue can appear with a greenish tinge, and red will turn into brown. Therefore, be careful to choose the colors of finishes and furniture, if you decide to use cold lighting. By the way, the food will look more appetizing in a warm light.
Basically, the kitchen uses the standard colors of lamps. The body is made in the color of gold and silver, white color is also not uncommon. They can be both glossy and matte - it all depends on your preference. Ceiling lamps, if we are talking about overhead and pendant lamps, can be any color solutions. The main thing is that they harmoniously fit into the overall interior of the kitchen.
If you want to emphasize and liven up a boring kitchen, for example in black and white, then install a deep red chandelier on it. This will help create a very stylish interior.
The materials used in the lamps, standard - metal, glass.But it is permissible to apply and design things. For example, a lamp made of wicker will look great in the kitchen space. You can also use a variety of wooden, cork details in the chandeliers. It all depends on your interior and flight of fancy.
How to choose: useful tips
The choice of ceiling lights in the kitchen is very large, and how to find exactly what you need.
First of all, you need to take this seriously, with a clear idea of what you want, and to make lighting in the kitchen comfortable, whatever you do there.
- You can not limit the lighting of the kitchen one lamp in the middle. Be sure to highlight the work area. Otherwise, standing with your back to the light, you are blocking all the lighting, and it will not fall on the cutting table.
- You can not buy lamps before you decide on the kitchen. First you need to make a kitchen project, determine where and what kind of light is needed, stretch the wires, and only then purchase lighting devices.
It would be good to provide a switch in the kitchen with the ability to adjust the level of illumination, or at least divide the mode of ignition of the lamps into two switches.This will not only save on electricity, but also provide an opportunity to create a more intimate atmosphere, if necessary.
If the kitchen has a dining area, then there is also a good need to think about the lighting.
Usually it is illuminated with pendant lamps of unusual shapes, less often overhead.
The most effective placement of such lampshades 1.5 m from the lamp to the table. You can hang one large bowl, but it is allowed to place a few throughout the table.
If the table is moved to the wall, you can light it using sconces or spots.
Ceiling lamps suspended and laid on the form is not difficult to install yourself.
Suspended chandelier need only be hung on a special ceiling hook, previously connected to the wiring.
Overhead same fixtures with a drill and dowels are screwed to the ceiling.
With built-in lights all the more difficult. They are mounted by the same specialists that install the ceiling. For lighting, pre-design places, and draw the wires, then, when installing the ceiling, cut out the holes and connect the power to the luminaires themselves.
How and where to locate
To the ceiling turned out beautiful and spectacular, you first need to make a project for the placement of lamps.
It should take into account:
- the geometric shape of the kitchen;
- the parameters of its natural light and darkness;
- is zoning space planned?
- Will there be a chandelier in the kitchen, or just lamps?
All further ideas for the location of lighting should be based on these points. Do not be afraid to re-light the kitchen space. The rule here is that the more light the better.
How to decorate
Decorate spotlights as little as possible. Here you can only play with the color of the lining, or choose it inlaid with crystals. Although there are ceiling lamps for recessed fixtures in the form of an inverted cup.
With chandeliers, the situation is different. Here you can turn on the fantasy and play with both color and shape, and with the material. The main thing that the chandelier was made in the same style with the kitchen in general. An example for the decoration of a hanging chandelier could be a lampshade from Soviet porcelain, which will look great in the interior, made in the style of the 80s. (0)
Overhead lights, too, can be interesting to decorate, the ceiling in the form of glasses will look great on the kitchen ceiling.
Interesting solutions in the interior
The choice of interesting stylistic solutions is very large, and in this set everyone can find a suitable option for themselves.
Here are some interesting solutions for the selection of lamps on the kitchen ceiling
- A copper wire lampshade, resembling a wicker basket on an invoice lamp in the working area, is perfect for decorating the ceiling in a rustic style.
- A bright accent on the ceiling will help to transform the hospital view of a white kitchen into a stylish design project.
- Lamps in the form of kitchen utensils above the dining table are suitable for a loft-style kitchen.
- Another project for lighting an island in a loft-style kitchen is to leave incandescent lamps without any lamp shades.
- Vertically drawn overhead lamp is perfect for a small kitchen.
- Parallel lines of LED strips for the entire length of the ceiling complement the minimalist style of the kitchen.
- Installation in the form of drops of spilled milk, made of broken porcelain and decorated in the form of a chandelier, will find application in modern kitchen design.
- The chandelier, edged with stucco relief, will decorate the kitchen in a classic style.
- For the kitchen in modern style, a chandelier of several large pendant lamps will suit.
- LED lighting of a multi-level ceiling in combination with spotlights around the perimeter of the room and the canopy above the dining table will perfectly distinguish the zones in modernist style.
- A space lamp to illuminate the dining area is another idea for the modern style.
- Modern lighting of the dining area will also look great in the kitchen in modern style. Bright and lively.
- Brilliant chandeliers in the interior of the kitchen will give austereness to your interior.