Foam blocks glue: varieties, temperature of use and consumption
Each building material has specific features, given that they are used in various works on the construction of buildings and structures. In addition, taking into account the available characteristics, a composition is selected for each product that is capable of ensuring a reliable fixation. Among having a range of materials is to provide foam blocks, which also need high-quality adhesive composition.
Advantages and disadvantages
When choosing a simple to install and high-quality building material for the construction of walls, experts increasingly prefer foam concrete blocks. However, the positive features of the products can be appreciated only when they are laid not on ordinary cement mortar, but when using special glue.This composition is viscous, sets more efficiently, shrinkage after solidification is not characteristic of it, besides, the blocks that stand out for their porous structure do not absorb moisture from it, due to which it is considered to be better than a solution of cement. Products are in demand in the construction of new buildings, as well as in the reconstruction and modernization of old buildings. From the blocks erect both residential buildings and country houses, baths and saunas. The material can be used not only in the laying of load-bearing walls, but also as a product for the installation of partitions, as well as a raw material for the performance of work to provide heat and sound insulation of buildings.
As for the adhesive for foam blocks, it is necessary to highlight the main advantages of its use, such as:
- since the seam formed by the adhesive composition is thinner than a layer of cement mortar, the appearance of “cold bridges” between the structural elements is practically excluded;
- the consumption of the composition, which will be smaller in comparison with other compositions, also depends on the small thickness of the layer;
- due to the need for a smaller amount of substance for work, it is possible to significantly reduce the time for preparing the mixture, which also reduces labor costs;
- for dilution of the composition does not require the use of special devices for mixing the material, for the preparatory work with glue suitable ordinary drill;
- the specific properties of the products have a positive effect on the sound-proofing and heat-insulating properties of the building material;
- good plasticity of the mixture makes it possible to carry out the adjustment of stacking blocks;
- adhesive composition is moisture resistant, so the probability of formation of microorganisms on the basis is excluded;
- due to the minimum thickness of the connecting seam there is no need for additional processing of the bases for alignment, which makes it possible to reduce the costs associated with the finishing work of the walls and partitions;
- the mixture is sold in small bags, due to which products can be transported in conventional passenger transport without using cargo vehicles;
- All components of the adhesive are completely safe for humans and the environment.
In addition to the positive qualities, such compositions have the following disadvantages:
- products have a high cost, due to which it is used mainly for the construction of small buildings, however,Adhering to the recommendations on the dilution of the composition, it is possible to achieve a rational use of products that do not significantly affect the costs;
- visually determine the quality of the mixture is not possible.
To reduce the risk of acquiring goods that will have low quality characteristics, it is necessary to focus on the following nuances:
- for installation work during the winter period at a negative temperature, you should buy glue, which consists of special cold-resistant additives that affect the properties of the entire mixture;
- experts recommend not to rush to purchase newly released material, it is better to opt for a composition with a later date of manufacture;
- products from little-known trademarks should not be considered for work, because there is a risk that this product is of poor quality; products of popular and well-known brands are rarely distinguished by low performance characteristics, with the exception of counterfeits under this brand;
- in the course of calculating the required amount of the mixture required for operation, some errors should be taken into account,which in any case may occur during the laying of foam blocks, so in stock it is better to have at least one extra bag of glue.
What is it made of?
Products contain various dry ingredients, Among them are the following:
- modifiers - the main characteristic of such substances is hydrophilicity, which makes it possible to reliably retain moisture, thereby preventing the cracking of the composition during temperature fluctuations;
- Portland cement is responsible for the strength of the mixture, in addition, it provides the ability of the composition to harden as quickly as possible;
- quartz sand - this ingredient makes it possible to create a thin layer of glue on the base;
- Polymers are responsible for the plasticity of the material, so that the mixture reliably fills the porous structure of the blocks, positively affecting adhesion to the working base.
Today on sale you can find two types of adhesive composition for foam blocks.
Product classification is based on the temperature range in which the mixture can be operated.
- Summer adhesive composition. Such products are allowed to work at temperatures from +5 to + 30ºС.However, after diluting the material, it will be suitable for application in no more than two hours, after which the polymerization will occur and the mixture will become solid. The basic component of the product is white cement.
- Winter glue for foam blocks can be used in the temperature range from -10 to + 5ºС. This frost-resistant composition will harden after 30 minutes after preparation, which is why it is recommended to be diluted for work in small portions.
To dissolve all the components of the mixture, for the work on the dilution of glue need to use hot water.
And also to classify products on the market, based on the form of release.
Given this nuance, two groups of goods should be distinguished.
- Products based on cement, which is sold in the form of dry powder in bags or bags.
- Compositions based on polymers, which are sold in cylinders of small volume. The technology of applying glue-foam requires the use of a special gun.
According to experts, such materials have a lower level of adhesion with the base in comparison with products based on cement.
As a rule, the calculation of the necessary material is based on the information indicated on the product packaging. Usually, 1 m³ and 1 m² of masonry are taken for measure. However, these values may vary depending on the skill level of the specialist working with the composition and foam concrete blocks. According to the manufacturers' recommendations, the consumption per 1 cubic base with a seam width up to 2 mm is taken as the norm. Only a professional bricklayer can put such a layer.
Due to a small construction experience, the flow of the mixture is sure to increase.
There is a special technology that allows you to determine the approximate amount of adhesive composition.
To do this, consider the following data:
- in order to lay 1 m³ of material, it takes about 17 kg of the mixture - that is, about 5-6 kg are needed per 1m²;
- the rationality of acquiring adhesive compositions for foam blocks will take place only if the building material has the correct geometry, then the consumption of glue will be within the normal range, otherwise you should be ready for a small waste.
The principle that should guide the acquisition of various building materialsIt is an understanding that, basically, cheap products cannot be of high quality, since the manufacturer most likely used low-quality components to reduce the cost of its cost. The desire to save can result in significant additional expenses, so you should still opt for goods from popular domestic or foreign companies.
The list of popular brands includes the following product brands:
- Quick mix;
As for the Russian trademarks, the goods of the company "Rusean" are recommended for work with various blocks., among which there are quite common sizes: 20x30x60 cm. In addition, the mixture has worked well during the laying of material with surface defects. The summer mix “Founded Selform” T-112 is remarkable for its color variety, the products are presented in white and gray. Mixtures Knauf and Ceresit are more expensive in comparison with domestic glue powders, however, and the strength characteristics of the compositions of the products are higher. Ceresit blends are notable for their plasticity.
The composition "Practicus" from Bergauf is recommended for use in the winter, it can be applied in the temperature range from -20 to +5 degrees.
How to cook?
Violation of instructions for the preparation of glue for foam concrete blocks can have negative consequences, therefore It is very important to follow the following recommendations from experts:
- The presence of non-uniform inclusions - lumps in the mixture should not be allowed, since they will interfere with the application of a thin layer of material; the usual manual mixing will not give the desired result, however, an electric mixer or a drill can be found even in a beginner’s master;
- one should deliberately consider the choice of the volume of the kneaded mixture for work, since summer, and especially winter products have a very limited period of use until it hardens in the container;
- it is strictly forbidden to dilute the compounds with water after the specified time for use, as this will adversely affect the adhesion of the material and plasticity of the composition
- The prepared portion of the mixture should be stirred regularly, so that it does not lose its uniform consistency.
To perform the correct application of glue to the foam blocks, it is necessary to carry out the work in the following sequence:
- the lower row of the material should be laid on the cement-sand mortar;
- work on the laying of blocks begins strictly from the corner, to facilitate the process and to avoid uneven laying between the laid corner elements the string is tensioned; after following the guideline, lay out the remaining blocks of the row;
- building blocks construction is carried out with their laying on the glue; before applying a layer of adhesive mixture from the blocks, it is necessary to remove dust, otherwise because of dirt particles lumps will form in the mixture, which will adversely affect the reliability of the seam;
- mix the need to handle the bottom and side surface of the foam; if there is a groove-ridge lock, then only the bottom is machined;
- it is best to work the elements with glue using a notched trowel, thus it is possible to reduce the consumption of glue;
- if the foam block is located in violation of the overall geometry of the base, within 15 minutes after fixation with the composition it can still be put in the desired position; after this time, the glue will adhere to the surface and the laying will be impossible to fix;
- after fixing each element is recommended to knock it on top; such manipulation will contribute to a more reliable adhesion of the mixture and material;
- If the composition has appeared on the edges along the edges, which is often the case with tiles and blocks, it should be wiped as soon as possible, because after hardening, spilled mixture should be knocked off the wall, due to which there is a high probability of damage to the building material.
For information on how to lay foam blocks (gas blocks) on glue, see below.