Features of polyurethane glue for wood
Quite often, one has to deal with the situation when it is necessary to firmly glue together wooden parts, surfaces or parts of objects. Such a need may arise during construction or repair work. But also wooden things or furniture may require repair due to splitting or fracture. In any case, before gluing, there is a question of choosing a high-quality and reliable adhesive composition. The article will discuss the properties and specificity of polyurethane glue for wood.
Glue polyurethane compositions have a very wide and diverse range of applications. In our country, this type of glue appeared not very long ago. But in Europe it has been used for many decades.
Polyurethane glue for wood quickly gained popularity and began to be used for various types of adhesive work in the home, industry and repair and restoration area.
The main advantages of these adhesives include a number of properties.
- Frozen glue seam is very durable, able to withstand severe dynamic loads.
- This type of glue is resistant to moisture.
- The frozen composition is not destroyed and does not change the properties when temperature drops and under the action of direct rays of the sun.
- This type of glue is very convenient for work with porous materials.
- Polyurethane adhesive compositions with the addition of resins are resistant to aggressive solutions (acids and alkalis) and petroleum products. They can provide high strength wood bonding with other types of materials.
- compositions for bonding wood materials based on polyurethane are the most expensive;
- rubber gloves should be used during the work, as if fingers come into contact with the surface treated with glue, there are dark, hard-to-remove marks on the skin and on it.
The adhesive composition can be two-component and one-component. Their main difference is in the process of bonding.
Single-component compositions freeze upon contact with particles of moisture in the air or on the surface itself.They can be used for coupling oiled wood.
Moisture is not necessary for two-component glue. The process of coupling with the surface and hardening begins after mixing its two components. In this regard, before applying it is necessary to make a mixture of adhesive.
To date, the most popular and well-established are several adhesive compositions on a polyurethane basis.
- Soudal 66A - high quality Belgian glue. Possesses the highest adhesion and wide range of working temperatures (from -30 ° С to + 100 ° С). Suitable for gluing wood between each other and with other types of materials.
- Titebond - professional adhesive composition. Based on several types of solid synthetic resin. Glue perfectly connects all types of wood, including oiled. Items stuck together can be used in extreme conditions and under high dynamic loads.
- UR-600 - this glue structure is universal, it can be used in life and construction. This one-component adhesive is water resistant. In the composition there are no toxic solvents. Adhesive solution sold ready to use.
- "Moment Crystal" - universal adhesive composition of Russian production. It can be used for gluing wood, metals, plastic, leather, rubber, porcelain, glass and other materials. Frozen composition is resistant to moisture, alkaline and acidic substances. Moment Crystal is sold as a clear gel, ready to use. It does not stain the surface and leaves no noticeable marks.
- Purmelt QR 4663 - polyurethane hot-melt glue of very high strength. The composition has high adhesion, quickly seizes. It is convenient for use in conditions when it is impossible to provide long-term fixation of the glued parts. Differs in high heat resistance (up to +150? С), water resistance and resistance to aggressive solutions and substances. Forms duroplastichesky seam.
- "Desmokol" - high-quality fast-setting adhesive. It is a gel-like organic rubber solution. The frozen joint is resistant to temperature extremes and moisture.
Worth listening to professional advice:
- excess glue should be removed from the surface as quickly as possible with a sponge or cloth;
- Do not apply too thick layer of glue;
- adhesive must be distributed evenly over the surface;
- bonded surfaces must be thoroughly cleaned and degreased beforehand;
- for bonding porous surfaces it is better to use a more liquid adhesive composition.
For an overview of Titebond Polyurethane Liquid wood polyurethane glue, see the video provided.