Features and scope of use of liquid glass
When performing construction work, a large number of adhesive compositions are used, which are necessary to connect various types of surfaces. One of the popular mixtures is liquid glass. Consider in more detail what it is and for what purpose it is used.
Liquid glass consists of an aqueous alkaline special solution, which is made on the basis of silicate salts. This building material is a melt that is transparent or slightly colored in yellow or green hue. The composition of liquid glass includes silicates of sodium and potassium, resulting in the adhesive mixture is divided into 2 types. The differences of these species are in the field of use. Externally, it looks like a homogeneous jelly-like liquid without solid particles.
The first type of building material is sodium compound, which has a high adhesion index with various coatings. Sodium composition is used in the reinforcement of the foundation, the repair of glass and porcelain products, fire-resistant processing of building materials. The second type is potassium special composition. The last variation of the adhesive solution has a high resistance to aggressive media. Often this product is used in the manufacture of protective paints and varnishes. The appearance of the deposited potassium composition on the coating has no glare.
For liquid glass, GOST 13078-81 is valid, so when purchasing this product, boldly ask for a quality certificate, otherwise it is better to refuse such a purchase, because there are many fakes. If liquid glass is applied in its pure form, it can dry in 10 minutes. If silicate glue is used in the preparation of various building mixtures, the drying time of the solution is increased.
Sodium production can increase the rate of hardening of cement-sand mixtures. It is often used in works with the foundation, as well as during the waterproofing of building coatings. The performance of liquid glass is due tothat this substance is easily able to penetrate into the structure of solid building materials, while giving moisture and increasing its density and viscosity. Liquid glass has another name - silicate glue.
Liquid glass has a number of performance qualities. thanks to which it enjoys demand among the owners:
- used in almost any construction work;
- has the ability to protect surfaces from moisture - liquid glass does not allow moisture and water to penetrate into the structure of the material;
- minimum freezing period;
- liquid glass has an antiseptic effect, that is, is a protection against the appearance of mold and fungus;
- water glass for floor and wall surfaces is often used as a refractory material;
- products do not contain harmful substances, which allows its use in all premises;
- similar adhesives have a long operational life;
- ease of application - liquid glass evenly falls on the working surface;
- if you compare silicate glue with similar waterproofing building materials, the first option will benefit;
- The shelf life of building materials is about 2 years, and permanent freezing / defrosting does not affect the performance of the product, but during long-term storage a sedimentary layer may be formed, which is considered the norm;
- insulation, made on the basis of silicate glue, can withstand temperatures up to 1300 degrees.
Despite the majority of positive characteristics, silicate glue has negative sides when applied:
- The composition of liquid glass has a large amount of alkali, which adversely affects the skin of a person. When working with this product, you need to stock up on high rubber gloves.
- The adhesive solution is able to harden for 20 minutes, after which it is prohibited to use this building material. Therefore, experts recommend to carry out construction work in a fast rhythm.
Liquid glass is a multifunctional tool, because it is used in all construction activities. Often this substance is used for waterproofing not only residential, but non-residential buildings (garage, basement).High-quality adhesive can make any products resistant to high humidity. In this case, the building materials will not be deformed. Waterproofing, made in the basement and basement structures by means of liquid glass, does not allow the groundwater to penetrate inside. Therefore, in the fall or spring in such rooms is dry.
Due to its versatility, this building material can be applied to the ceiling, walls and floor coverings. Please note that the application of liquid glass not only prevents various harmful formations, but also eliminates fungus and mold if they are already on the working surface. To eliminate this problem, simply apply it to the coating, after which the formed mold and fungus will disappear.
Adhesives are also used as polishes, they are applied to various surfaces of tables, cabinets, cabinets, to give an attractive appearance to the headset. In the pulp and paper industry, this product is used as an adhesive.
Due to such possibilities, silicate glue is often used in the preparation of surfaces for wallpapering. In such a situation, the use of antiseptic coating is a prerequisite, especially if the canvases do not breathe. Liquid glass is also used to process well structures and the inner walls of pools. The silicate coating has the ability to protect these structures from damage and leakage.
If the installation of a pipeline is required in the room, then liquid glass can be used as a sealing material. In addition, silicate products are used to process various tissues. The main condition for the application of this composition is that the fabric must have an indicator of fire resistance.
Car mechanics also resort to the use of silicate glue, which is applied to the car body. For this purpose, mainly used two-component glass, where the ideal ratio of stiffness, hydrophobicity and gloss prevails.
When wounds appear on trees and shrubs, they are covered with silicate glue, which is able to prevent further development of harmful microorganisms. This treatment prevents the rotting of plants.
Also silicate solution is used in other areas:
- mosaic paintings;
- suspended ceiling structures;
- waterproofing in wells.
Experts do not recommend the use of silicate products for the treatment of brick coatings, because it can destroy such building materials. For such surfaces, it is better to apply a specialized PVA building compound.
How to prepare a solution?
The modern market offers ready-made variations of the silicate substance and the individual components that need to be added to a specific mortar. But ready-made mixtures are not cheap, so the use of individual components is considered the most advantageous option. In its pure form, silicate glue is rarely used in construction, it is mainly used as an additional element in the manufacture of various mixtures. In this case, you need to familiarize yourself with the rules for making liquid glass.
Before preparing this solution, first of all you need to prepare all the necessary tools and building materials:
- electric drill with a special nozzle;
- fine-grained sand mixture;
- pure water;
- putty knife;
- means of protection.
The process of mixing the ingredients is carried out according to the instructions. Cold water is used to dilute certain components. If the working surface, on which this mixture will be applied in the future, reduces the adhesion rate, experts advise adding less liquid or more cement mixture.
First of all, water is poured into a bucket, after which the cement is poured. These ingredients are thoroughly mixed until dissolved. For more rapid mixing, you can use a construction mixer.
For the preparation of waterproofing composition should be taken on 1 part of sand, silicate mixture and cement. Such components need to fall asleep in a bucket in which liquid is already poured. Waterproofing compounds used for floor screed and when laying blocks.
The procedure for preparing a fire-resistant mixture consists of several steps:
- you must first dilute the sand-cement mixture in water;
- then an adhesive mixture is added to the resulting mass (25% of the total mass of the solution).
Fire-resistant mixtures are used as finishing stoves and fireplaces.
You can also prepare yourself an antiseptic special solution, which is needed for application to wood surfaces. In this case, the ingredients are mixed in a ratio of 1 to 1. This solution is suitable for concrete and plastered bases.
Sequential instructions for preparing the mixture for pouring the foundation:
- 250 g of an adhesive solution is poured into a clean container, everything is mixed by means of a construction mixer;
- liquid glass is poured into a larger bucket, the cement mixture is gradually added to it, everything is thoroughly mixed;
- the resulting solution is poured into the formwork design.
A layer of liquid glass should be 3 mm, while pouring is carried out in 1 go. In this way you will get the ultimate strength indicator of the whole structure.
If liquid glass is used as an antiseptic special means for wooden substrates, the proportion of liquid and glass will be 1 to 1. Experts do not advise using this tool to treat all surfaces (concrete, plaster), because the applied silicate glue forms a sliding film, which will not allow to paint or putty the surface. These finishing materials are not able to hold on to such a basis.
According to most experts, it is better to first mix the necessary components, and then pour in the liquid.
How to use?
Silicate glue should be applied on the surface of wood or concrete by means of a brush or spray gun. For the last variation, the mixture must be dissolved in a ratio of 1: 5, in this case the flow rate will significantly decrease.
The silicate coating should be located on the outside of the structure., because in this way reliable protection of the working surface. If the wooden parts have small parameters, such structures can be completely immersed in liquid glass.
Let us consider in detail the technique of applying liquid glass on walls treated with a primer mixture:
- First, the work surface must be cleaned of various contaminants.
- A primer is applied to a perfectly cleaned surface using a roller.
- After complete hardening of the first layer, you can start applying the second one. It is forbidden to allow omissions and smudges.
- Liquid glass is applied to the primer with a spatula. Performing this procedure, you need to take care of the means of protection (special protective clothing, gloves, goggles).
Technology of applying liquid glass on a car body:
- The car is thoroughly laundered from dirt, as well as degreased using specialized detergents.
- Carry out polishing of the body to eliminate the old coating. The working surface should be in perfect clean condition without chipping.
- After being covered with liquid glass. It is advisable to apply adhesive mass on the car body in several layers (3-10).
- After applying this coating, the body must be left to dry for 8 hours.
This procedure can be performed by a specialist with certain skills, but for a beginner it will be much more difficult to cope with such work.
Manufacturers and reviews
Today, there are a large number of manufacturers producing high quality silicate glue.
This company is engaged in the manufacture of sodium glass. The production of this finishing material is carried out in accordance with state requirements (according to GOST). But it is possible to order products with any set of ingredients, even with those that do not meet state standards.
NPO Silikat was founded in 2009 in St. Petersburg.In such a short period of time, the company won a large number of admirers, and also became a leader in the construction market. Silicate glue of this manufacturer is often used in everyday life, during repair work in apartments, country houses, garages. The main advantage of the company "Silikat" is an acceptable price of its products.
The company "StekloProdukt" is engaged in the production of foam glass, glass bottles and silicate glue. Today, the products of this company are widely used in industrial activities. Due to the fact that the liquid sodium glass is constantly subjected to control and inspection during manufacture, the presence of fakes is excluded.
Tips and tricks
When working with liquid glass, experts advise familiarize yourself with some rules and recommendations that will help you in the future to avoid a lot of mistakes during finishing works:
- When working with liquid glass work surface should look smooth and neat without flaws.
- Apply the adhesive mass to the various coatings should be with extreme caution, not falling on the open skin, eye mucosa. Use protective equipment.
- On completion of work with similar building materials close the banks from under the products. It is forbidden to leave the working container in the clear. In this case, the adhesive solution will be unsuitable for further use. Do not use technical water for mixing the mixture, such a liquid can affect the properties of concrete.
- To reduce the hardening properties of the solution, the first thing to do is to mix the silicate glue with the liquid, and then add the cement and sand to the resulting mass. The application of liquid glass is performed only on skim coatings, so you will increase the rate of adhesion of surfaces.
- When mixing the composition you need to ensure that it does not fall into foreign particles. Otherwise, the adhesion of building materials may be affected. It is forbidden to violate the proportions of ingredients in the preparation of liquid glass. Exceeding the number of components can lead to a violation of the effectiveness of the coating. In the future, the entire structure may crack and collapse.
- Experts recommend preparing an adhesive solution in small portions in order to have time to apply liquid glass to the surface.Otherwise, the adhesive will harden and you will need to prepare a new mortar. When applying silicate glue to the car body, experts recommend updating it once a year, despite the fact that manufacturers in the instructions advise updating the coating once every three years.
- Surfaces and products treated with liquid glass require time for one hundred percent drying (at least 24 hours), at this time it is not necessary to subject this building material to various mechanical stresses. You should not apply the solution to the facade of the room, if in the future it is planned to paint the building, because paint and varnish products with silicate glue have poor adhesion.
- If, when operating, silicate glue gets on a product that you were not going to coat with this product, it should be removed immediately. For this purpose, it is possible to cushion the formation with hot water and rub until 100% elimination. Many remove liquid glass through a construction knife or blade, and some use vinegar to dissolve completely, after which they dispose of a silicate solution with gentle movements.
How to treat a concrete floor with liquid glass, see below.